New Krag Owner Looking for Help Identifying 1898

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Re: New Krag Owner Looking for Help Identifying 1898

Post by butlersrangers »

Rnelson: Welcome to the KCA Forum. The full Krag infantry rifle with its 30 inch long barrel was a bit awkward for "Hunting" purposes. The Cavalry Carbine with its 22 inch barrel and 'sporter-like' stock was far handier in the woods.
When the public could buy a Krag, mainly after WW-1, they could be bought from Sporting Goods Dealers for around $15 and from the U. S. Government - Director of Civilian Marksmanship (now the CMP), for as little as $1.50! Benicia Arsenal, in California, began selling a modified rifle, commonly called a "DCM" or "NRA" Sporter, starting around 1926. At the beginning, rifles had their barrels shortened to 22 inches, the muzzle was stepped, and a 1903 Springfield front sight (1905 variation) was expertly fitted to the barrel. The rifle stock was replaced with a carbine stock and a carbine rear sight and hand-guard were installed. Eventually, they ran out of carbine stocks and substituted cut-down rifle stocks. If I recall correctly, something like 15,000 Krag rifles were so altered by the arsenal. It requires DCM paperwork or an original bill of sale to prove a Krag was one of these "sporters".
It does not require very much skill to make a convincing copy of the "NRA Sporter". Many more were made by Professional and Amateur Gunsmiths than by the arsenal. This was done mainly to make practical and desireable rifles, rather than to deceive.
Your Krag appears to be a Krag rifle that was altered outside of the armory. Your rear sight is a rifle sight. Your stock is a cut-down rifle stock. There is a good chance your Krag is in its (altered) original stock. The 1898 dated 'cartouche' stamp on your stock matches the year that #130,102 was probably assembled and accepted.
You have a nice looking 'cut-down' Krag rifle that should be a fine shooter. Paul has given you an accurate idea of its value. Enjoy your Krag for what it is. Ultimately, you may want to add an M-1896 type hand-guard.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good eye, OR Hunter (re; the cut-off lever).
Rnelson, if you want a correct magazine cut-off, I can sell you one, reasonable. (They are common and look like this). Image

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Thanks OR Hunter, that's a practical alternative to replacing the magazine cut off lever. If I need a replacement, butlers rangers, I know who to give a shout to. And the information that you shared was actually encouraging! Thanks so much!
Ralph