new accuracy loads

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
carbon outlaw

new accuracy loads

Post by carbon outlaw »

Hi from Carbon Outlaw reincarnated suggested that i try heaver bullets in my new krag 30/40 34.4 gr of 3031 165-175 gr bullets
I found some 168 gr sierra matchking hpbt I never thought 110 gr would be very accurate in a rifle meant to shoot 220 gr bullets so I loaded some up and Ill try them next week and report back Thanks reincarnated C.O.
end of message...end of transmission...by.. ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: new accuracy loads

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind though that not all Krags feed spitzer bullets smoothly, or reliably either. Both of my Krags will feed them, but they must be crimped. If not, then the bullet will telescope back into the case neck while chambering, causing the case to get jammed. This is because of the angle they feed at. If I load a bullet with a cannelure and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, I don't have this problem. Some Krags won't feed spitzers at all.

I shoot cast out of my cutdown sporter - 185/190 gr NOE 311365 over 19 grains of AA-5744. For my 1898 rifle, which I shoot in Vintage Rifle matches, I shoot a 220 gr bullet over 40.0 grains of IMR-4350 and a CCI 250 Magnum primer (to ensure a clean burn). This is the closest you can get to the original .30 US round. My 1898 loves these!

madsenshooter

Re: new accuracy loads

Post by madsenshooter »

Some of the fellows I know up in MI have only a 100yd range where they shoot at NRA Highpower targets reduced for that range. They're getting good results with 110gr bullets, a lot less recoil to deal with and accuracy similar to what you have pictured. I've used the inexpensive Hornady 123gr .310 diameter V-max for the 7.62x39 in one of my Krags that has a .310 groove diameter with some success. I found that faster burning powder gave me better results and loaded them with 21.9gr of Blue Dot, which averaged 2400fps. I found the bullet a bit speed sensitive, no doubt designed by Hornady specifically for the 7.62x39's velocity. http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?8864-krag-group-of-the-day.