1898 Target Rifle Build

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
FredC

Re: 1898 Target Rifle Build

Post by FredC »

If you replace all those nickel plated parts, when you finish you will have a pile of nickel plated parts that will look an awful lot like what you started with. If the plating is good and not flaking on the edges and corners, could you put a stainless barrel on it and have an all weather sporter? I might have traded with you, but I am too far along on mine to do that now.

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Target Rifle Build

Post by butlersrangers »

JdA: I hope you recover from your injury fast and get back to firing larger calibers. Side Plates with screw, Magazine Gates, and bolt bodies, show up on ebay all the time. Those items should be available for about $100 total.
I believe 'Parashooter' gave a better (and cheaper) idea for a target rifle barrel, than using a Criterion barrel.
The Criterion barrel only makes sense, if you are rehabilitating an original Krag infantry rifle, that has a bad or indifferent barrel, for competition.
It is easy to invest $800 to $1,200 into a Krag, that will only be worth $750, and have poor resale prospects. Krag projects can easily become money pits, IMHO.