28" barreled Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
broadway

Re: 28" barreled Krag

Post by broadway »

Well, I finally got back to that shop to look at this rifle. I was in a hurry to get on the road and left my camera (and change of clothes) sitting on the counter at home. I tried to use the camera on my cell phone but the pictures are terrible.

It has a 27" barrel which appears to be crowned the same as a normal Krag 1898. The front sight appears to have been dovetailed into the barrel just like a normal Krag. It is the same sight as the other two also. It appears to have had. A bayonet attached at times due to the wear on the muzzle. It appeared to be very similar in wear to the other two Krags.

The stock has been shortened by what appears to be a similar amount though a wood plug does not appear to have been used. There are no visible car touches other than the one on the pistol grip. The stock appears well used though solid and cared for.

The rear sight is an 1896 by my uneducated eye. Serial number is in the 183xxx range so not in the B of O&F range.

Price was $850 which is about twice what I want to pay. It is a pretty clean gun which leaves me wondering as I do not know enough to know what to think.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Bummer that you forgot the camera, as pictures would definitely help. As I see it, the mystery is just getting a little more mysterious now!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

broadway: I believe a Krag rifle stock could have its fore-end shortened almost 3 inches and not quite expose the 'lightening' channel.
27 inches is a most peculiar barrel length and I am aware of no Krag model this could be. (Likely reasons for shortening would be VFW use or to remove 'bulged' area of barrel).
I have to think, someone skillfully shortened and re-crowned the barrel and remounted the front sight base. Usually, poor workmanship or atypical method gives this away.
The rifle in question is an enigma and requires careful disassembly, measurement, and scrutiny by an experienced 'Krag eye'. That's a lot of money for an 'unofficial' (probably VFW) Krag. IMHO.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'm not sure it is that big a mystery.

Am pretty sure it is just some sort of VFW/Legion/patriotic group/surplus dealer parade weapon that was cut down after service. As such, the price is awfully steep unless it has a mint bore, and you are planning on some serious target shooting.

There is one reference in one of the books to a "Navy" Krag, supposedly with a shorter barrel, but there has been zero follow-up, and I suspect it is an old wive's tale.

broadway

Post by broadway »

What throws me is that the stock is proportionally te same as with a standard Krag. It all looks to have been done around the same time which would have been long ago. The handguard looks to be a bit older but not a lot.

The bluing on the muzzle also appears to be of an age as the rest of the metalwork.

I'm wondering if this may not have been a repair done outside of an armory? I can see this possibility at some far distant post, especially if there were a Naval base around as they would probably have the tooling and skill to perform such a task. I thought I read that stocks replaced in the field often did not have car touches stamped into them as that was an arsenal deal.

I'll have to remember the camera the next time, I'm guessing that at that price it will stick around.

broadway

Post by broadway »

Oh, if a VFW rifle, why would they shorten it? Make it handier to carry? And would it be likely the added time, effort, and likely money to have the job be done to this extent be rather superfluous? Especially the cutting down of the stock so a bayonet could still be attached, or at least appear so.

Not trying to be argumentative but my experience with VFWs is limited to the local one where they seem to do their best to get by on the cheap. I realize they aren't all that way but this one puts Scrooge to shame.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Those shortened for the VFW, or the Legions Drum and Bugle Corp, and such were more often than not Springfield length. As far as costs, seems about every post had someone who thought they had enough experience with guns to do things right. But it sounds like the odd one you're talking about was likely a repair, perhaps a bulged barrel, or maybe removal of an area damaged by those pesky little mud daubers! I have a couple damaged at the muzzle barrels thank to them!