Cadillacs and Colts

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Cadillacs and Colts

Post by butlersrangers »

Two 1910 Cadillac roadsters with Ohio plates and Model 1895 Colt 'potato diggers' on the hood. We love our cars (and guns) in the Midwest. This is not special order for Detroit's Woodward Ave. "Dream Cruise". More of the story tomorrow.Image

psteinmayer

Re: Cadillacs and Colts

Post by psteinmayer »

Man, would I LOVE to have that car!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

At first I thought this was a public relations 'mock-up' for a military academy participating in a parade. It did not look very practical to me. The 1910 Ohio license plate had me researching military schools that existed in Ohio at that time. Enhancing and playing with the shading of the photo image brought out detail of a sign painted on the hood. Although the vehicle promoted a military academy, other photos I ran across suggested this was a real piece of equipment.ImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you ever get to Las Vegas, there is a 1925 Rolls that is armed to the teeth for the Maharajah of Kotah in the auto museum, at The Quad (formerly the Imperial Palace).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The two 1910 Cadillacs (with Colt machine guns attached, but covered) were entries from Northwestern Military Academy, Highland Park, Illinois, in the 1910 Glidden Tour. This was an automobile endurance rally, under the auspices of AAA. Glidden Tours were run from 1902 thru 1913 to promote Motoring and 'Better Roads' (and have been resurrected in current times by vintage car hobbyists). The 1910 Glidden Tour went from Cincinnati to Chicago by way of Oklahoma City, 2,851 Miles. (Photo of Cincinnati 1910 Tour start area. Both 'Balloon Destroyers', with changed license plates, are in photo. One is next to and the other is 2 car-lengths behind the REO). Note - 38 automobiles were entered in the 1910 Glidden Tour and only 9 finished. The two Northwestern M.A. Cadillacs completed the punishing ordeal. Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The "Balloon Destroyer" was the Brainchild of Mr. Royal Page Davidson (1870-1943), a graduate of Northwestern Military Academy. Royal Page was the son of Northwestern M.A.'s founder, Harlan Davidson, and became the institution's Commandant. Royal Page was very innovative and is credited with being the inspiration for the Armored Car. Prior to his development of the school's armed automobiles, he created the school's bicycle corps. When the U.S. 25th Infantry was making their epic 1,900 mile bicycle trek from Missoula, Mont. to St.Louis, Mo. in 1897, Northwestern's Bicycle Corps was peddling 1,000 miles from Chicago to Washington D.C. Royal Page volunteered the services of his School's Bicycle Corps to the U.S. Army during the SAW. In 1898 Royal Page began developing a number of armed motor vehicles. (I believe he is the driver in the 1st 1910 Cadillac photo that was posted).ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Royal Page Davis in addition to his role as Commandant of Northwestern Military Academy became a Colonel in the U.S. Army reserves and Illinois National Guard. He was an active proponent of military applications of motor vehicles with advanced technical features (radios) armament and light armor. His innovations were displayed in a series of vehicles that evolved from 1897 to 1915. (photos - Duryea tricar 1899, Duryea quadracycle 1900, and steam powered Davison Automobile Battery Armored Car 1900). ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Pictures of Col. Royal Page Davidson's later armed vehicles and his 1915 'military convoy' that trekked from Chicago to San Francisco to display the feasibility of military vehicles.ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul! Get away from the car.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL I'm taking it!