Mallory's 2nd Edition?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
reincarnated

Mallory's 2nd Edition?

Post by reincarnated »

I am thinking about buying a Second Edition of Frank Mallory's book. There seems to be a substantial price difference between the 1st and 2nd editions, with 1st Editions about 2X higher. What is the difference?

Already have the Poyer and Brophy books.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Mallory's 2nd Edition?

Post by Dick Hosmer »

There is a fair amount of new material, plus, it includes all of the SRS Krag serial data up to press date. Also, it is printed in a much better-looking font. Frank had regrets over his initial choice of format/design, and made sure that the 2nd edition was much nicer.

jimmyzwei

Post by jimmyzwei »

with 1st Editions about 2X higher.

have a copy of the 1st Edition - is it really worth more?

would rather have the 2nd edition my self, but this came up at a reasonable price (or so I thought) so I grabbed it.

Still looking for a 2nd Ed at a reasonable price (there one out there for 180 but that is more than I will pay)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good question and interesting answers, I learn something new every day on this forum. I bought my copy of Frank Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story" new, in the mid 1980s, at an Ohio Gun Collectors Show. It is signed, but the dust jacket is badly worn from my use. I am not a book collector. My references receive a lot of wear and tear. (For the convenience of others, it is marked: Copyright 1979 by Springfield Research Service, Printed in the United States of America by Dover Litho Printing Co., First Printing, November 1979). I guess I will have to keep an eye open for a 2nd Printing to get the added SRS data.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I decided that I needed a copy. Looked on ABE and came up with nothing. I tried Google. Amazon came up. The $185 listing was the lowest, claims to be a new (but remaindered) book. 1st editions were listed for up to $445 or some such.

Amazon acts as a broker, so you cannot tell who you are dealing with. Whoever the dealer is, they have 20 new copies at $185. I bought one. Shipping was $3.99. Now I just wait until it shows up at the PO box.

Whoever the dealer is, they probably bought out what was left of Frank Mallory's stock and are trying to double their money.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Good question and interesting answers, I learn something new every day on this forum. I bought my copy of Frank Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story" new, in the mid 1980s, at an Ohio Gun Collectors Show. It is signed, but the dust jacket is badly worn from my use. I am not a book collector. My references receive a lot of wear and tear. (For the convenience of others, it is marked: Copyright 1979 by Springfield Research Service, Printed in the United States of America by Dover Litho Printing Co., First Printing, November 1979). I guess I will have to keep an eye open for a 2nd Printing to get the added SRS data.

The second printing of the 1st edition was run off in May 1980. I do not know if there was a third, but am guessing not. The 2nd edition came out in 2001. You would have to get a 2nd edition to get the SRS material, and added/revised text, a "printing" is just that - a fresh run off old plates.

In addition to my copy of the Second edition, I also have one of the original "presentation" (33/100) copies of the 1st edition, 1st printing, signed by both authors and with a personal note from Frank. Those I plan to keep, but, I also have a nice clean, but not pristine - it has been opened a few times, signed copy of the 1E2P, which I will someday sell.

I can relate to your comments about handling! By the time the dust jackets start looking a bit tired, it's too late for the plastic wrappers I should have put on! :-(

JOHN42768

Post by JOHN42768 »

Reincarnate, PM sent. John

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer, thanks for the clarification. I should have said 2nd edition and not '2nd printing'.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I got lucky today on ebay and picked up a 2nd edition of "The Krag Rifle Story", (Buy Now) for $99.99, plus about 5 bucks postage. I was not in the market for another copy of Mallory and Olson's book, until I learned about the additional material in the later edition. Thanks for the discussion and shared information on content and prices. Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My '2nd edition' arrived today. I am quite pleased with the changes over the 1st edition.