Cleaning Dirty Bore on Old Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
old shooter

Cleaning Dirty Bore on Old Krag

Post by old shooter »

The bore on my recently acquired sporter Krag carbine looked like it had not been cleaned in 50 years. Fortunately, the lands look good even if the grooves seem to have an accumulation of buildup. I have worked in solvents and brushed a good amount with some little improvement. The grooves seem almost lumpy rather than rough, but not smooth. Near the chamber, the grooves seem to have a stubborn buildup under "down hill" edge of the land and up to its top. I detect no throat erosion. At present the bore is soaking in Kroil. I will brush again, but I wonder if some shooting might loosen up the junk in the grooves. Can some of the junk be shot out? Has anyone has success in cleaning up these old bores? Is there a better way to do this? I am really looking forward to shooting this dignified old rifle and am really pleased that I have it. Thanks for your help and advice.

butlersrangers

Re: Cleaning Dirty Bore on Old Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

My experience: I've always bought used guns paying special heed to bore condition. Occasionally, I've risked buying a gun with a 'dark' bore. A couple of times the darkness was old cosmoline and I was real lucky. Usually, the darkness was rust. I seem to experience four kinds of bores: 1. Mint and shiny. 2. Shiny and a bit worn. 3. Shiny with minor darkness, pitting, or erosion. 4. Dark, with no amount of elbow grease and cleaning agents showing improvement.
All four of these bore conditions may shoot well. The first three clean and eventually provide clean patches. The fourth category never cleans and provides infinite black cleaning patches. It may also shoot very inaccurately.

old shooter

Post by old shooter »

Looks like mine is about a 3. I'll try working on it some more and shooting it. My first look down the bore from the muzzle with a patch in the back of the receiver, to catch light, showed a completely dark bore. It turned out someone had shot a 30-30 in a 30-40 and the ruptured case was still in the chamber since the extractor would not pull it out. This dignified old rifle was a gift from an old friend and I will treat it with respect. Generations ago someone made a carbine from an 1895 rifle with 22 in barrel, shortened forearm with schnable fore end a internal barrel band, added a pistol grip, skillfully, and a butt pad. Thanks butlersrangers for your response.

ButterBolt

Post by ButterBolt »

I think I may have a #4.
After corking the chamber and soaking in solvent, stroking many time with SS brush and other suggested methods, I'm afraid to shoot this old girl.

More to follow.

ButterBolt

Post by ButterBolt »

Ooops, looks like I need to know more about image posting. Sorry.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The CMP sells Criterion barrels and is now offering some gunsmithing services at Camp Perry and Annison. This may be an option worth exploring.

ButterBolt

Post by ButterBolt »

Thanks Butler. I did buy a used barrel to replace mine. It's at the gunsmith now. I was interested in the forums reaction to the photo, but I haven't mastered succesful posting of photos stored on my computer.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

ButterBolt: Tell us more about your "used" Krag barrel. I hope the project turns out good for you. (Hint regarding photos - I take mine at .3 megapixels for posting, steady hold and sharp focus is critical).

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

I picked up a scoped 98 Krag with a #4 condition bore as described. I think it was fired with corrosive ammo and put away uncleaned for decades. I used Hoppes #9, Sweets 7.62, Kroil, JB Bore Paste and Bronze wool on the bore. The bore is still dark and patches still come out with some black on them.

The rifle still shoots cast bullets in 5 shot groups of 1.5 inches or less at 100 yards. Amazing!

ButterBolt

Post by ButterBolt »

This is the original barrel from a unmolested Krag I purchased. I didn't think it would be a "shooter."
It looks like something was run down this bore spinning, as there are swirl marks not in coincidence with the rifling present. Lot of deep pits etc.
Went looking for a better old barrel and found one on line.
When I get it back from the smith and test fire, I will post results.Image