Marines?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
reincarnated

Re: Marines?

Post by reincarnated »

I know the color is bad, but all the Lee Navy rifles I have ever seen have very dark wood. Also, the rifle on the far right is the only one where we might see a pistol grip stock and it does not seem to be visible. Also the Lee had a 28" barrel. It would only be a couple of inches shorter than a Krag rifle.

Could it be that this is a still from a movie?

Can anyone identify the hats?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

After looking at pictures of the Marine Kepi (which seems to 'bell-out' at the top), I'm concluding these troops are wearing the Army style of Kepi. What looks like crossed weapons on their Mills Buckles could just be a reflection off the recessed "U.S." or National Guard Letters. The device on their Caps could be crossed cannons. The original caption "Artillerymen" is probably correct. The artist may have taken liberties with trim colors when hand tinting the slide. It's likely the rifles are trap-doors.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

The "crossed cannons" on the belt buckles are a reflection but the ones on the hats do not appear to be.

Those are Mills loop belts. The USMC, if I'm getting the order right, had Lees at that time. Lees have magazines and the belts are leather with pockets for clips.

Artillery with trapdoors.

The kersey is dark blue and sky blue - standard army colors. The tunics appear to be the pre-1890 edition.