Krag preservation

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Krag preservation

Post by butlersrangers »

Springfield Armory 'rust blued' Krag barrels, trigger-guards, barrel-bands, and butt-plates.

They called the process 'browning', but, we would call it 'bluing' in modern terms.

(This is not the black/blue finish put on a lot of commercial guns in recent years).

The attached photo shows the butt-plate of a presentation Krag.
There are three finishes shown: the 'browning' of the rust blued plate, the 'case-hardened' door and the 'blackened' screw.

These metal finishes (and more) are found on original U.S. Krags in good condition. These finishes are comparatively fragile.
Attachments
fgrant-5.jpg
fgrant-5.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 942 times

larrys

Post by larrys »

I didn't put the barrel and receiver into an electrolysis tank. The metal finishes are in very good condition to begin with, just dirty with old dust and grime. However, the underside of the bolt handle had a sizeable lump of rust that wasn't responding to the steel wool and Hoppes method. It came out of the tank with almost no evidence of any pitting in the metal. I have found that electrolysis will pull the oxidation out of deep pitting, preventing the pitting from forming rust again. Cleaning with solvent and steel wool won't reach into deep pitting. As a side note, the electrolysis bath did not harm the very good condition 'flame bluing' on the extractor.
Larry

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Any 'before' and 'after' pics?

FredC

Post by FredC »

I also would like to see pics. Did you check to see that hydrogen was not released in the process? Both the bolt and extractor would be vulnerable if the process produces hydrogen embrittlement. Not sure of the process. if hydrogen is released on the opposite electrode or not at all you are free and clear.