This old Krag Rifle is new to me

U.S. Military Krags
boomer

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me

Post by boomer »

I have a very similar M92. I don't think your fine rifle needs "restoration". All it requires is removal of any rust by scraping with a flattened brass cartridge case and applying a good gun oil afterwards. The stock and hand guard needs a good lemon oil furniture polish applied vigorously with a soft cloth to remove accumulated dirt /grime. These procedures will not change the original condition. If you start adding finish to the wood, you have changed it.

Restoration means different things to different people. To me, restoration is not the same thing as 'refinishing'. If done properly refinishing can be part of a restoration, done improperly it can make a decent restoration impossible.

As far as cleaning rust, I've been using 'Frontier Big 45' for years, and am a big fan. It does a great job of removing rust (and other 'hard to remove grime' from metal) and have never had it affect any metal finish.

If the wood of needs cleaning, I first see if I can get the dirt off with elbow grease and the oil I plan on using on the wood. You might be surprised how good oil (animal or vegetable based) is at lifting dirt. If that doesn't do a sufficient job, I use dilute Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it. Then the oil goes on. The oil I use on the stock is what was used (to the best of my knowledge) when the firearm was originally made - in this case raw linseed oil.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Boomer,

Thanks for the education and tip about Frontier Big 45.

Most of the Krags I end up with are of the "Rusty POS" variety.

I agree, refinish, restore, refurbish, etc means different things to different people.

Just "Do no harm to the Krag" is what some members would say.

Good job!!!

boomer

Post by boomer »

Watching the last of the oil dry on the stock is right up there with watching paint dry.... so, I thought I post some pictures of the bolt assembly.

When I got the rifle, the action was very hard to operate. The problem turned out to be quite a bit of dried and very 'hard' oil/grease. It seemed like a good place to start on the disassembly and cleanup.

Some of you referenced the book by Brophy. Maybe I should have gotten that one, but instead I have Poyer's book on Krags. The parts of this 'bolt' appear to match up with what he calls Type 1, Type 1A or 1B. These appear to fall in the expected category based on serial #. The only item he didn't have a photo or drawing of is the Type 1 Striker which he describes as having a squarish point. Some day when I have more energy, I'll pull the bolt out of my 98 sporter and compare strikers.ImageImageImageImage

boomer

Post by boomer »

More photo'sImageImageImage

boomer

Post by boomer »

This morning I finally separated the stock from the barrel/receiver. The interior wood on this stock is, by far, the cleanest I've ever owned on any military surplus rifle.Image

boomer

Post by boomer »

After removing a layer of dried oil from the cover plate, the rifle serial number was revealed on its back edge.

boomer

Post by boomer »

I finally got the 'gunk' cleaned out of the barrel. I couldn't get a good photo, but just on the edge of the ability of these old eyes, there appears to be some minor pitting. The rifling appears to be very strong throughout and has a pretty good muzzle reading. Image

boomer

Post by boomer »

Question - Are the mounting screws on this sight correct?

The head of the screw at the rear of the sight sits flush with the sight. The head of the screw at the front sight sits proud of the sight base. You can see from the attached photos that in addition to being a longer screw (necessary) the head of the front screw is also 'taller/thicker'. Both screws engage the barrel by about the same amount. The front screw is either the wrong screw, or there is an interesting reason it is used. ImageImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

I think the head of the front screw is a bearing surface that the sight pivots on for windage. I am fairly certain it is the same on my later Krag. Would have to go look at it to be 100%. Not sure if it is the same on all the iterations of Krag sights.
If I am correct, the screw driver slot should be higher that the base so that a buggered slot does not affect the bearing surface.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

I think the head of the front screw is a bearing surface that the sight pivots on for windage.

What prompts you to believe that the 1896 sight is windage-adjustable?