Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Xhpmaster

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Post by Xhpmaster »

I am new to this Forum and looking for .30-40 brass. I would like to go in on a group buy if that would motivate the brass producers.

KraginColorado

Post by KraginColorado »

Also new to the forum (been searching around for ammo with no luck for a couple of months now) I would also be interested in getting in on a group buy of krag brass.

I don't intend to stay low on ammo for my Great Grandfathers unmodified rifle if I can help it....

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to all of the new members.

At this point, we're trying to get some of the brass manufacturers to pony up to making us some 30-40 brass... but at this point, it's just talking/emailing.

Here's something everyone can do though to help with the ammo situation: Where ever you buy ammo and look for Krag ammo... start asking for it!!! Presently, only Remington makes 30-40 Krag ammo (180gr Core Lokt), and only seasonally. I am a firm believer that voices matter... and if people started asking in droves (such as at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Dicks Sporting Goods, Every mom & Pop gun shop... etc.), then these shops would be asking Remington when more ammo is coming. Eventually, Remington might get the hint that there is a demand for it and increase production! If Remington starts increasing production... then maybe Winchester would take notice and resume producing ammo and brass too. If nothing else, at least it gets people talking and that's never a bad thing!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I emailed Federal Cartridge Company. Since they already load .303 British, I suggested they look at filling the vacuum for .30-40 Krag ammo & Brass.

engineeringpunk

Post by engineeringpunk »

Has anybody checked out this place or contacted them?

https://coloradocustomcartridges.com/

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'll try to contact them today. They offer .303 British... so there's no reason they couldn't offer 30-40 too.

Xhpmaster

Post by Xhpmaster »

Gentleman, don't despair - there is always hope....
Yesterday, I came across 260 factory loaded rds for $200.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Encouraging news!

I wrote to Colorado Custom Cartridges. LLC a couple days ago and received a nice letter from them:

Hi Paul,

Been many years since I shot at Perry. Good memories for sure. Your correct the brass for the Krag has all but dried up. There seems to be always a couple guys on gun broker that think the brass is gold and are skinning people. WE do not play that game. I can make krag brass from either .405 Win. It's dimensionally super close. Another caliber is the .303 British. It's is functional and depending on the chamber, may be useable a few time (reloaded) after fire forming. The .405 makes a great case BUT!! has several more steps to make it "correct". This means neck turning and correct sizing. Both calibers of brass are readily available.

We do load for several match shooters using a variety of calibers. Depending on the degree of accuracy you are in search of we can go either way as brass. Remington will "some day" run this again and there is rumors that an importer is making noise of making this caliber also. Are you shooting .308 or .309 diameter bullets? Another point of interest is that the .303 British reformed case is short! 2.215 in comparison to the Krags 2.3142 Having not shot this short case myself, reports are that they worked fine. I would choose to test some before ordering a quantity of ammo.

Let me know your thoughts. We are always up for a good challenge and "match ammunition" in this caliber is way over due.

Regards

It sounds like these are great people who understand the problem. This might work out to be a great solution to our ammo issues. I'll write back and ask for pricing on loaded ammo, and formed brass... and let you all know.

engineeringpunk

Post by engineeringpunk »

Depending on pricing, I could be into a hundred or two rounds.

I like the .405win idea instead of the .303 british because of the OAL thing. I'd pay more money for a case that is the right length.

Are we asking them just about brass that we can buy and load ourselves or complete cartridges? Brass may be a better game since not everyone would be into just one bullet type/weight. On the other hand not everyone reloads.

Not sure where Xhpmaster found 260 factory rounds for $200, but I just paid $200 for 100 factory rounds....and I felt like I was doing at least halfway decent. Prices on GB are even crazier.

Xhpmaster

Post by Xhpmaster »

Hornady has been producing 405 Win for the pass few years. I have a Ruger #1 in 405. I found the 30-40 ammo in San Diego area.
I contacted Winchester, Hornady, and Starline about making 30-40. Hornady answered me saying to check their list of brass at the end of the week. that list is what they plan to produce for 2017. I haven't seen 30-40 on there yet.