This old Krag Rifle is new to me

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me

Post by butlersrangers »

Per Franklin Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 210, Appendix 9, the large screw, for the original type of model 1892 butt-plate, had a convex head.

It appears your current screw is of a later type and that a convex head screw would be a nice fit. Image

boomer

Post by boomer »

Per Franklin Mallory, "Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 210, Appendix 9, the large screw, for the original type of model 1892 butt-plate, had a convex head.

It appears your current screw is of a later type and that a convex head screw would be a nice fit.

Thanks for sharing that drawing. It does look like that screw would fit. Now, the challenge of finding one. I will look for that book as well.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Your rod looks like the rod on my 3140. 5MadFarmers has a good picture in his book.

Thanks for the info.

I visited their website a few days back in hopes of ordering that book. The site doesn't look like it's had any activity in a long time, and I'm a bit reluctant to send a money order to something that is no longer active. Instead, I sent an email to their "contact us" address to find out if the book was still available. Of course, that email may not receive a response even if they have books to sell.

Joe Farmer is one of the good guys as far as I am concerned. You should not have fear. He haunts Culver's ( jouster2.com ) Krag forum.

Captain Culpeper of the KCA Irregulars
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

boomer

Post by boomer »

Joe Farmer is one of the good guys as far as I am concerned. You should not have fear. He haunts Culver's ( jouster2.com ) Krag forum.

Captain Culpeper of the KCA Irregulars

Thanks for the recommendation. That is good enough for me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Boomer - You should search around for a reprint of the 1894 Ordnance Department "Rules For The Management of the U.S. Magazine Rifle".

These reprints don't cost much and contain lots of neat period information.

The 1898 and 1917 Krag reprints are more common and interesting to have. But, the 1894 "Rules" is the one you most need.ImageImage

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here is an online copy of the 1898 print. Unable to find the 1894. You can download it as a PDF. It may be helpful until you find an 1894 copy.

https://books.google.com/books?id=lprH9sWcJTAC&pg=PA6&dq=rules+for+the+management+of+the+u.+s.+magazine+rifle+1894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje-s-Npe7dAhUs9IMKHQeTBuMQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=rules%20for%20the%20management%20of%20the%20u.%20s.%20magazine%20rifle%201894&f=false

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

Since this first model was immediately following the Trapdoors which used a convex screw, you might try to find a later trapdoor from which you can "borrow" a screw to test the fit. I imagine, that SA would try to use up old inventory wherever they could. When I think about it, I think every butt plate that Springfield used from, at least the Model 1842 which is as far back as I can look at, had convex screws. There should be some available at many shows.

boomer

Post by boomer »

Boomer - You should search around for a reprint of the 1894 Ordnance Department "Rules For The Management of the U.S. Magazine Rifle".

These reprints don't cost much and contain lots of neat period information.

The 1898 and 1917 Krag reprints are more common and interesting to have. But, the 1894 "Rules" is the one you most need.

Excellent advice -- so I ordered one this morning.

boomer

Post by boomer »

Here is an online copy of the 1898 print. Unable to find the 1894. You can download it as a PDF. It may be helpful until you find an 1894 copy.

https://books.google.com/books?id=lprH9sWcJTAC&pg=PA6&dq=rules+for+the+management+of+the+u.+s.+magazine+rifle+1894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje-s-Npe7dAhUs9IMKHQeTBuMQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=rules%20for%20the%20management%20of%20the%20u.%20s.%20magazine%20rifle%201894&f=false

Thanks!

boomer

Post by boomer »

Since this first model was immediately following the Trapdoors which used a convex screw, you might try to find a later trapdoor from which you can "borrow" a screw to test the fit. I imagine, that SA would try to use up old inventory wherever they could. When I think about it, I think every butt plate that Springfield used from, at least the Model 1842 which is as far back as I can look at, had convex screws. There should be some available at many shows.

Great advice! Thanks for the info/recommendation.