This old Krag Rifle is new to me

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me

Post by butlersrangers »

In case "Inquiring Minds Want To Know ... ":

'Olderthansome' hit the nail on the head.

I woke up this morning considering the same idea of using a 'Trapdoor' butt-plate screw, as a replacement large screw, on an early Krag stock with a 'flat' butt-plate.

I took a 'Trapdoor' Springfield and tried its butt-plate screws, (they are both the same), on a model 1898 Krag's butt-plate.
(I do not have a model 1892 Krag to try this with ... hint, hint)!

The 'counter-sink' on the 1898 Krag and '1873 Trapdoor' butt-plates is not quite identical. The 'oval-head' 1873 screws were a credible fit and might fit correctly on a model 1892 Krag 'magazine rifle'.

BTW - 1873 Springfield butt-plate screws are not hard to find on ebay. S&S Firearms has them for $12, a screw. ImageImageImage

boomer

Post by boomer »

In case "Inquiring Minds Want To Know ... ":

'Olderthansome' hit the nail on the head.

I woke up this morning considering the same idea of using a 'Trapdoor' butt-plate screw, as a replacement large screw, on an early Krag stock with a 'flat' butt-plate.

I took a 'Trapdoor' Springfield and tried its butt-plate screws, (they are both the same), on a model 1898 Krag's butt-plate.
(I do not have a model 1892 Krag to try this with ... hint, hint)!

The 'counter-sink' on the 1898 Krag and '1873 Trapdoor' butt-plates is not quite identical. The 'oval-head' 1873 screws were a credible fit and might fit correctly on a model 1892 Krag 'magazine rifle'.

BTW - 1873 Springfield butt-plate screws are not hard to find on ebay. S&S Firearms has them for $12, a screw.

I agree that it is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to try that substitution and get photos of it - it looks like a much better fit than what I have now. Right now I'm holding it as a 'Plan B'.

When I came up empty on all the likely websites - it struck me that there is a classified section on this forum - duhh!! The very first classified 'sticky' (Dan Lowery) turned up a stacking swivel and screw that is correct for the rifle and he is currently checking to see if (and he thinks he does) he has one of the screws in question. If he doesn't have it (I'll still get the stacking swivel and its screw), I'll check with the next person that lists parts for this rifle. If none of those pan out, I'll move to 'Plan B' - hopefully as a temporary measure as I will keep looking.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Keep us posted - As 'olderthansome' surmised, the early Krag butt-plate screw may be, the same as, the one used on the 'Trapdoor'.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Just for a little edification, in The Ordnance Supply Manual dated 1904, the following was published:

"Butt-plate screw, large: Head made flat in model 1896."

boomer

Post by boomer »

Dan Lowery has the correct butt plate screw. So it and a correct stacking swivel & screw have been ordered. While waiting for those to come in, I'll be cleaning/polishing the chamber. I like to test feed / eject empty cartridges before even thinking about live ammunition (which I'm still debating with this rifle). The cartridges on this one get sticky for the last 1/16 inch of travel before the rim seats. I believe the binding is occurring where the neck steps down.

boomer

Post by boomer »

Went to a local gun show yesterday - mostly because I wanted to visit Bill Ricca's table (he's usually at the gun shows I call local) and pick up some Garand items. He also had this Krag 1892 Rear Sight that I relieved him of.
I'm not sure that I'll put it on the rifle for any reason other than taking a couple of photo's. Other than that it will be a display item to go along with the rifle.

Had a side photo as well, but even after shrinking them, I appear to be at the limit you're allowed to upload. It appears I'm done as far as adding photo's goes.Image

boomer

Post by boomer »

How about that - Sunday USPS delivery. The new 'old' butt plate screw, stacking swivel and associated screw arrived. All have been installed. Butt plate screw fits perfectly - except for the little bump above the butt plate that resulted in the need for a new screw style with the new butt plate.

Now to figure out what to do with photo's.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think maybe the KCA Forum is 'maxed out' on photo capacity, for now.

Maybe freeloaders, like me, need to send a membership donation to the administrators for the purchase of more capacity!

boomer

Post by boomer »

I think maybe the KCA Forum is 'maxed out' on photo capacity, for now.

Maybe freeloaders, like me, need to send a membership donation to the administrators for the purchase of more capacity!

Thanks for reminding me. I belong to a number of forums like this one. Most I'm just a ghost, watching and reading, occasionally contributing. Some, like this one, provide me with a lot of personal value. This forum, for example has given me help with two rifles -- and the cost of membership is a drop in the bucket compared to the value of that help. So, I finally found the 'membership' info and check is 'in the mail'.

As an aside, I don't find the contributors - the sources of info such as yourself to be 'freeloaders'. The wealth of knowledge provided is what keeps a forum like this going.

boomer

Post by boomer »

As noted in an earlier post, I received the order with an 1892 butt plate screw yesterday. The first photo shows the screw that was in the rifle when I got it (top) and the early butt plate screw (bottom) that I just received. The difference in the screw head is apparent.

The second photo shows the screw installed in the rifle. The edge of the screw is flush with the butt plate with the rounded head of the screw rising just slightly above the butt plate.ImageImage