Bear Huntin Im'a Goin'

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Bear Huntin Im'a Goin'

Post by butlersrangers »

That Lahti 20mm Anti-Tank Gun would sure light up the forest!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I am torn between my Dad's sporterized M1917 American Enfield (mine now) and the Krag sporter. The M1917 for sentimental reasons and the Krag due to the coolness factor. I'll post pictures of the guns when I get a chance.

I imagine that 20mm gun would raise the dust off the forest floor, too.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Just got an email from Wisconsin DNR today to confirm that I have been awarded the chance to bear hunt. So now I need to finalize some details. My choice of weapon will depend on the type of hunt. If it is close range my choice will be my sporter Krag, which I will need to fine tune with some load choices. The barrel is a replacement, a 1903 made January, 1909 at the Rock Island Arsenal.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your Krag 'Sporter' should do the job.

You could modify it into a 'School Rifle' configuration to get a little "Extra Edge".Image

FredC

Post by FredC »

That is one pretty sporter, any bear ought to just roll over and die out of respect. Well that probably will not happen so place your shot well, we do not want to hear about a hunter being eaten by a bear!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

...... or Arming Bears!Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yeah take a gun that shoots straight. We don't want to be looking into a bear's cave and saying...

"It's Knute, all right. It's his nose, his mouth, his fur ...but his eyes - there's something not quite right about his eyes."

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

;D ;D
Well, my brother has been awarded the same opportunity as we applied together. I am going to talk him into taking our Great Grandfather's 1895 Winchester in 30 US so we may be hunting with the same cartridge.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Good on ya Knute!
Bear season is early enough in Maine to make ice needed after field dressing until butchering. What are the Wisconsin season dates?
Glad you and you're bro can share the hunt.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I will be hunting in Zone D (the very northwest section), which is where my sister lives so I should get some cheap lodging, maybe even fed well ;). There are various dates for the type of hunting method used, starting September 9th. I will likely go as early as possible and hunt over bait, not using dogs. Got some more planning to do, so my brother and I need to get on the stick. I actually can't buy my permit until March, but I did get the notice from Wisconsin DNR that I won the "lottery".

And Culpeper, in your last reply you could have used the term "fur" as it would apply to me. I've been told that I am as furry as a bear. And if I get a bear as big as me I would be happy, which would be 315 pounds.