Process for Sighting in an 1898 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
kw64

Process for Sighting in an 1898 Krag

Post by kw64 »

I am new to his forum so please forgive any oversights. I have an 1898 Krag rifle with the 1901 sights. Took it to the range today and put 20 rounds through it at 100 yards with very modest success. I was on the target with 16 rounds, and low on the others I think. I am wondering if it would make more sense to shoot 5 rounds at 25 yards, then 5 more at 50 yards, and then increase to 100. But to do so I am not sure what to do with the sights as I do not see a setting for less than 100 yards. I am 64 and wear glasses but see well, but old eyes might be part of the problems. I am trying to find a process that minimizes the human error part to get a feel for the rifle. I used to shoot a lot as a young man but have not shot much in the past 30 years. I am really enjoying it but am striving to shoot tight groups. Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Ken 8-)

Cat Man

Re: Process for Sighting in an 1898 Krag

Post by Cat Man »

Hi Ken,

I'm only a young guy at 58, but I share your frustration with aging eyes. I do most of my shooting with military "Iron" sights and have shot high power service rifle competition for a long time. So with that introduction, a couple things come to mind.
(Assuming consistent ammunition and a Krag barrel with some accuracy left in it)
1) Use a large enough target for open iron sights at 100 yards. I use the NRA 200 yard military target repair center with a
12 1/2 inch black for the sights you have on the Krag. I like the 1901 sight for target work because of the adjustments available.
2) blacken the front sight post. It makes a huge difference. The post front should be square and sharp.
3) remember to FOCUS on the front sight only. The long sight radius to the Krag front sight is an advantage.
4) shoot a 6 O'clock hold or sight picture. In other words set the square top of the front sight at the distinct bottom edge of the bulls eye. Trying to hold in the black center will not be consistent.
5) do your sighting in good light. I don't shoot as well in grey overcast conditions. Wait for a clear sunny day.
6) use a good adjustable bench cradle to rest the rifle for consistent bench rest shooting.
7) verify weather it is the rifle or the shooter having a problem. Have another GOOD shooter fire a couple groups with your rifle.
8) Setting the target closer is a confidence builder but really should not be necessary unless the barrel is in really poor condition - which it may be.

Hold and Squeeze

Cat Man

Notlwonk

Post by Notlwonk »

One trick you can use is to sight it in at 25 yds. and then take it out to 100 yds. It should be in the black. Each increment on the rear sight will change the elevation about 2" at 100 yds. I replaced the front sight blade with a slightly higher one, that got rid of the bevel someone filed on the original and gave a sharper edges.
A consistent shot to shot hold on the rifle is very important. The bore on my 1898 is lightly pitted. With cast bullets I've had numerous groups at 1.5" or less. They will shoot!!

kw64

Post by kw64 »

Thank you. I appreciate the guidance. I do have troube seeing the front site clearly in the rear notch and will try blackening it out. I will also try the 200 yard target, although the range I go to always grumbles a bit when I put up a larger target. Most everyone else shoots with a scope. Again, thanks

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For target shooting, why are you using a notch with the 1901 sight? :-?

Flip up the leaf and use the little aperture, which can be set below the 100 yard graduation if needed.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

kw64: I sight in at 50 yards, until I know my rifle and loads are giving me good groups, then I move to 100 yards.

If issue military sights shoot too high or too low (beyond the range of sight adjustment/correction), I staple one target above another, initially with white showing between the 'Bulls'. I sight at the target that will allow my shots to print on the other target. I go for good groups and consistency. (As a rule, most military rifles are sighted to shoot high at 50 and 100 yards - In my experience).
Ultimately, I will change the front-sight blade height (A taller blade to lower shots or a shorter blade to raise shots).

I try to get the rifle to shoot to point of aim for Hunting (or center of Bull with a six o'clock hold for Target Rifles) at desired distance. It is not unusual for many rifles to shoot high at 100 yards if they are sighted in at 50 yards, due to bullet trajectory and angle of barrel.

I am far sighted, but, need 'Reading Glasses'. Krag sights are fuzzy to me. I wear 2X 'Readers' with high impact lenses for Shooting Glasses. This allows me to see the sights in sharp focus. The Target 'bulls-eye' is blurry, but, that is not a problem. I can hold a consistent sight picture.

I hope this is helpful.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If you're shooting today's factory ammo, there's going to be quite a difference in the sight settings. Most available today is a 180gr spitzer loading going 2400fps, vs the original 220gr roundnose at 2000fps. It'll be somewhere in the neighborhood, but if the zero turns out to be the same it'd have to be some sort of weird coincidence.

kw64

Post by kw64 »

Hi again: went to the range again today. Tried using the aperture sight at 100 yards but was not hitting the target. The range I go to does not allow posting two targets over top of each other..... So.....I put up a target at 25 yards and shot a fairly tight group --- but then I probably could have thrown the rifle and hit the target consistently at 25 yards!..... Then went out to 50 yards and 100 yards. The gun shots to the right. At 50 yards my old eyes are good enough, but at 100 yards it is hard to tell when it is me or the gun that is off. Going back to the 50 yard shooting I kept about a 4" group, but again shooting to the right. Question: how do I adjust the windage on the 1901 sight. Before I start loosening screws, etc I thought I would ask the experts. Many thanks.

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

The 1901 sight has a lever at the front which is a friction lock for the windage adjustments. Pull/Push the lever to the right (I think) to release, then adjust the windage as desired and return the latch to the original position. Should be fairly convenient unless the lever stuck with "patina". A little oil may help.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sort of a side issue, but can you tell us why your range does not allow multiple targets? That is one of the easiest an non-invasive methods of dealing with military rifles which are normally sighted high. I have never heard of such a restriction - and I certainly hope it doesn't spread! If a range had a low berm, I guess I could understand there being a maximum height limit. And, if placement of a second target meant impacting the target frame, I could see where that would not be allowed, but to just say "one bull only" seems like, well, . . . . bull.