getting 1892 krag rebarreled

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Dick Hosmer

Re: getting 1892 krag rebarreled

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I don't think you're missing anything.

The problem really lies with the seller in Maine. He is apparently a huge dealer, and, as was explained to me, BATF is on him like a wet blanket, because they sell a lot of "tactical" (whatever that means) stuff, maybe even Class III items, and they will not ship ANY cartridge arm other than to an FFL. Overkill? Yes. Not in line with the law? Yes. But, his license, his livelihood, his rules. I could have "won" the argument, and lost the gun.

That takes care of the shipping end. Here in CA, I asked the dealer - whom I know, small town - to not book it, since that was not required under the "1898 law". He agreed with me, but said that since it came to him on an FFL basis, he had "no choice" (see license/livelihood) but to continue the process, even if wrong. So, I had to go the ten day route.

Bottom line - I have my prize (see www.trapdoorcollector.com/TDNews.html) but the process was annoying. Even when things are "legal" the plan is clearly to intimidate and harrass us into giving up.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I had the same experience with a seller in Maine. I was trying to buy a Cadet Model trapdoor.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Was it, by any chance, Kittery Trading Post?

In all honesty, their ad stated right up front that all cartridge guns had to go to an FFL, so they were not misleading. I assumed (wrongly as it turned out) that same was just to cover all the bases, and that they would still comply with the 1968GCA, which is very clear on the subject. Many sellers posted similar notes, but, correctly, did not enforce them on antiques.

Kalifornia has recently (1-1-14, I believe) imposed some additional paperwork requirements on incoming shipments from a certain class of people, but the legality of receiving antiques has not changed. Sadly, many - and the list seems to be growing - dealers and sellers have taken the easy way out and just stopped all shipments to us, which, I believe, was the underlying hope of our state authorities.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Same seller. I was in their main shop in Kittery. My son lived across the unspellable river in NH. Guns make up a minor part of their business floor space. My wife bought expensive hiking boots and a walking stick. I bought a sport coat. And maybe a hamburger.

With guns, it looked to me as if shotguns were the main trade items. Lots and lots of expensive ones, plus a place with a try-gun, so a person could get a shotgun stock made just for them, plus maybe custom engraving. They had black rifles and pistols, of course, and in separate sections, but they did not make up the bulk of the stuff on the many, many racks. You could buy a kid's 22 with a pink stock for your granddaughter.

craigster

Post by craigster »

A very nice prize indeed!

And yes, the rules/laws, fees/taxes, and paper work are all part of the anti's control agenda. Our right to keep and bear arms is being regulated and taxed at every opportunity.

What a lot of people don't realize, is crap like this is slowly creeping across the country, it's not just CA.

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

I have been feeling a bit overregulated for years.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I recently picked up a replica M1A1 carbine (folding/paratrooper) stock. I was going to put it on an 'imported' carbine, I have, that came back from Korea. It was to be a gift to a Son, who really enjoyed "A Band of Brothers" (101st Airborne - WW2 series).

Guess what? Michigan is one of two States where the M1A1 carbine is not legal. (Can you guess the other State)?

Michigan measures the M1A1 with the stock folded, while other States and the BATF measure it with the stock un-folded. In Michigan it is an illegal 'short-barreled rifle' (because it is less than 26" long with the stock folded). A recent Michigan State law change allows a resident to have a 'short-barreled rifle', if you have it licensed with the BATF. Guess what? You can't register an M1A1 carbine with the BATF because it's just a legal rifle! I guess I just need to get a Full Auto M2 carbine and register it with the BATF, in order to use that folding stock legally in Michigan.

"We have met the Enemy and They is Us".

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

I would get the data the show that the BATF say that type and make of rifle is a legal weapon. The go back to your Local office that enforces these laws and then see what they say. I am sure if you look around and ask at gun show you will find they sell them and if so ask how they can sell a weapon that is not "said to be legal" and they should be able to give you the law that allows them to sell it. That should give you the info you need to be able to get around a law that is kind of dumb.