getting 1892 krag rebarreled

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
win1906

getting 1892 krag rebarreled

Post by win1906 »

does any one know of a gunsmith that can rebarrel my krag near upstate new york.most be with in driving distance no shipping.

psteinmayer

Re: getting 1892 krag rebarreled

Post by psteinmayer »

I don't know if you would consider Ohio driving distance... but the CMP sells Criterion barrels for Krags, and the CMP now has a gunsmith service that can install barrels professionally, and they do include Krags! The CMP North store is at Camp Perry in Port Clinton, Ohio (just north of Sandusky).

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Why not ship it? Small risk in order to put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Smiths with the proper action wrench are few and far between- not much call for Krag rebarreling anymore. Personally I would just send it to the CMP and be done with it, especially if the new barrel is a to be a Criterion- one stop shopping.

98src

Post by 98src »

Is this an original M1892 with the cleaning rod under the barrel?

win1906

Post by win1906 »

it is a modified 1892.second part is i live in the comunist state of new york, any firearm that is shipped atf is notified.i am not going to go through that crap again.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You ought to try living in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia) where I recently had to go the 4473 route over a Model 1868 .50-70. If it had not been a super-rare early one, for which I've been looking for 45 years, and which I was getting at a steal, I'd have told them to go f**k themselves.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Well, the CMP North store should only be a several hour drive for you, depending on where you are in NY. Might be worth it to you. They are about as professional as you can get, and they know Krags (no monkeying around). As gnoahhh stated, if you are having a Criterion barrel installed, there will be some additional work required, such as installing the front sight post, drilling and tapping the proper size holes for the rear sight, bluing, etc. I'd call it a must!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Looks like north country not far from the Canadian border, long haul to North store.
Should be able to ship to CMP and back legally "for repair"

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Sorry to hear of the travails a New Yorker must endure over such matters. And I thought Maryland was bad...

Thinking some more about it, the biggest stumbling block, IMO, is having/using a proper action wrench. The Krag receiver is particularly prone to damage if gerry rigged methods are used. Perhaps if one made/bought/borrowed an action wrench then any competent gunsmith can barrel up a Krag because the protocols of chambering/setting headspace/extractor cuts are universal in that regard, plus any competent tradesman should be able to get the sight bases installed on same.

craigster

Post by craigster »

You ought to try living in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia) where I recently had to go the 4473 route over a Model 1868 .50-70. If it had not been a super-rare early one, for which I've been looking for 45 years, and which I was getting at a steal, I'd have told them to go f**k themselves.

Dick,

I'm in Kali too. What am I missing? Why the 4473 on a firearm made in 1868?

Craig