new member seeking info

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board

new member seeking info

Post by 304531 »

I was recently given a 1898 Springfield 30-40 Krag from my father now 70. Serial number is 304531 manufactured in 1901 from what I read online and has a burnt in stamp with the inspectors initials and 1901 on the left side of the stock. Also a "P" on the bottom... I'd like to know about the history if anyone hasa looked these up. I know records were thin but DCM and such may have records if I could get access to them. So, what I know about this rifle. My dad got this as part of his step granfather's estate in the early 60's. He was stationed in France during WW1 as an engineer for the railroads. When he came back he had this rifle on his farm in Boise Idaho where my dad spent his summers growing up. I do not know if this was his issued weapon being rear echelon it is possible or if he bought it on his return with the DCM program. I know few Krags were used in WW1 being replaced with the 1903. I'm missing the sling, windage sight and buttpate and rear sling plate... I'm hoping they are in a box somewhere yet to be found. I have had problems figuring out exactly what the original spec was if it had the over hand guard or not, missing if it did and if it had a bayonette ect. Barrel length and front sight original, stock original, finish is in good shape not really a lot of wear. Anyone have information to contribute?

psteinmayer

Re: new member seeking info

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Krags in WW1 are not as rare as you would think. Yes, they were primarily used for rear echelon duty in France and England. My main 1898 was in France in 1917/1918. The man who was issued this rifle brought it back with him and kept it.

Pictures would be great so we can see what you have. Rear sights, butt plates, etc. are available. The rear sight you would need depends on which hand guard you have. Each rear sight (1892, 1896, 1898/1902, and 1901) has a unique hand guard, and they are not interchangeable. Reproduction slings are readily available from Turner Saddlery. Plenty of great people here on this forum to help you out with advice and direction too!

Paul