Just Joined

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
RichWIS

Just Joined

Post by RichWIS »

Decided to join as I just bought a sporterized 1894 Krag. Owned a Krag back in the late 60,s and enjoyed shooting it, although the barrel was toast. The new one has had the barrel back to 19 inches and whoever did it spliced a higher comb and pistol grip onto the stock. They used the upper band as a forend tip so it looks like a full stock rifle. Haven't shot it yet the wing chill is running in the negative numbers here in WI.

Had not realized that Krag ammo and brass were so hard to find, but got 60 HSM factory loads. They us R-P brass so I'm good for a while. Shoot mostly cast so the cases should last a while. Don't know how well cast will do as the bore is rather rough, but minute of clay bird at 50yd meets my needs.

The front sight is from a 03 Springfield and the rear I assume is original. I will be 65 this July and looking over the sights think I will definitely need a peep sight. Easier to use and adjustable for windage, which the current sights are not.

Admittedly an obsolete design, and not a thing of beauty, but there is just something about a Krag that is hard to resist.

butlersrangers

Re: Just Joined

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome 'RichWis' to the KCA Forum. There are a bunch of Cast Bullet shooters here and they are generous with information. How about some pictures of your Krag. We all like to see the toys! ("Wing Chill"? You must be a 'Flying Badger' or it's hard to type with Cold Paws! - Welcome) - Chuck.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I'd love to see pictures too. I shoot cast in one of my Krags (shoot 220 gr RN FMJ ala original rounds for matches in another). Madsenshooter got me started shooting cast, so he is one of my mentor/gurus.

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

I'd post pics but have never figured out how to make it work. Have shot cast in my 06's, and looking forward to getting out to the range with this one. Still needs some work, stock is starting to split at the pistol grip, and the spliced in comb piece is coming loose. Easy fixes and will help pass the time til the weather warms.