Unmodified 1892 Krag rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
muldoon

Unmodified 1892 Krag rifle

Post by muldoon »

Brand new to the site and have a question about an unmodified? 1892 rifle I own. It appears outwardly to be a
rifle that was never arsenal modified to 1896 configuration but I was told a rifle can be cleverly reconfigured from the 1896 back to 1892 to deceive but that a person knowledgeable can spot the deception. Receiver date, serial range (95xx), rear sight, cleaning rod channel, butt plate, front band, hand guard, flat muzzle, inspector stamps on wood all seem proper. What other clues are there that I can check to determine a righteous rifle that a faker may not have done? Is it possible to do such a great job you can't tell? Looking forward to a response.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Unmodified 1892 Krag rifle

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You've pretty well covered it.

A bolt (or just the smooth extractor) could have been replaced, You would need to look at the receiver upper rear for signs of welding up the notch - that should be easy to spot. Cocking piece should be straight at rear, not beveled under - but that is another swappable part.

Check that the barrel is a full 30" - if a rounded one was flattened, it will be a bit short.

Front sight blade should be thinner above the base.

The gate, follower, sideplate, etc. should be numbered to match the receiver.

As to the rod grove - you must be able to see the elliptical termination about 1/8" ahead of the band - if the groove disappears under the band, you have a problem. There should be no cylindrical trap holes bored under the butt, and plate should be flat at the toe, and much thinner that the later ones.

Workmanship on the ring in the upper band must be flawless and one piece - the guide was machined as an integral part - not added separately.

I may think of more, and others may catch something I might have missed.