New Member Just Saying Hi

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Hep

New Member Just Saying Hi

Post by Hep »

Hello all!
I have had 1896 krag rifle for quite a few years now. It was handed down through the family.I really like the old krags and how they look with that big ol clip on the side."unique".Now that Im getting a little older and have more of a appreciation for older rifles and history I thought I would join here and see if can learn more about them.Possibly even find out more about the particular one I have.Thanks for having me here and I hope to learn more from you guys

Dick Hosmer

Re: New Member Just Saying Hi

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

First thing would be to post some pictures and a serial number, so that we can start looking for info.

Hep

Post by Hep »

No Problem
I have a 1896
Serial# 35524
22" barrel
30" stock
and I have to figure out how to re-size pics :(

Hep

Post by Hep »

see if this works
ImageImageImageImageImage

Hep

Post by Hep »

I haven't taken it apart to look for stamps or marks.The only marks being 1896. serial# 35524 US Springfield Armory and the small "c" on the blade sight
Thanks for any help. I've tried to figure it out myself but there seems to be allot of ifs and or buts. My dad got this from his grandfather and was told it has been sporterized. I have no idea.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hep: Welcome to the KCA Forum!
You have a nice family heirloom. Your family Krag is a Model 1896 carbine that was built around June, 1896. This is a very desirable model.
Your Krag carbine has some things wrong with it: It appears the stock has been sanded and a 'dove-tail' was filed into the barrel. The model 1896 carbine rear sight (worth around $500) has been replaced with the similar appearing model 1896 rifle sight (worth around $50). The hand-guard (a wooden piece that covers part of the receiver ring and covers the top of the barrel forward to the barrel-band/rear sight protector) is missing. The carbine 'sling-bar' and ring have been cut off.
A hand-guard and complete sling-bar & ring would improve the appearance and value of your carbine.
(p.s. - Your front sight "C" marked blade may be the taller model 1899 carbine blade).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hep: There are some nice detailed pictures of Model 1896 Carbines on the KCA Website. If you 'mouse-click' on "Visit the KCA Website Today" at the top of this page, it will take you to a Mainpage. 'Click' on the tab for 'photos' and it will take you there.

Hep

Post by Hep »

Thank you very much for your time!

Is this the dovetail you revered to?

Hep

Post by Hep »

I had always wondered what that was for or its purpose? I have looked at the pics you pointed out. Thats why I always felt this was a carbine and not just sporterized.I believed my dad just thought that because it was shorter. If it is indeed a carbine,I would like to restore it the best I can. I did notice the rear sight didn't have the "c" on it so I was thrown off there. The rifle has been in our family pretty much its whole life so I have no idea what happen there. I will admit.....When i was younger i thought ild clean it up a bit and tried to re-blue it (sorry) I know better now.The barrel actually turned out pretty good lol. Thanks again! and if you have any suggestions for restoring it,parts needed or what not I would greatly appreciate it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Yes, that' the dove-tail, (with the remains of some aftermarket sight base). If the remains were removed, a replacement hand-guard will hide the blemish.
Original parts show up on e-bay, but, are quite expensive.

An original carbine hand-guard is rare. A repro costs about $65 and can be stained to match. (A supplier is in KCA 'classifieds').

A repro 'carbine sling-bar & ring' costs $70 (S&S Firearms). Joe DeChristopher has originals ($95).

There are a couple of parts suppliers in the KCA classifieds, who may be able to help.

If it were my carbine, I would get a repro hand-guard and original sling-bar and enjoy and shoot my carbine. The correct rear sight costs way too much and the rifle sight looks and works "OK". ImageImage