New owner of a Krag carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
OregonMike

New owner of a Krag carbine

Post by OregonMike »

I am a new member and a new owner of a 1896 Krag carbine. The receiver is dated 1895 with serial number 26577. Is there any other information available for this Krag? I have Poyer's book and that was helpful. Would there be a source for it's service record? It has been updated to the 1899 type 4C stock and the type 8 hand guard with the protection hump and the 1901 carbine sightImage

butlersrangers

Re: New owner of a Krag carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

'OregonMike': Welcome to the KCA forum and congratulations on your Model 1896 carbine with later updates. Please post more photos. It sounds like you have an interesting carbine.
I checked the appendix tables, "Serial Numbers of Known U.S. Krags", in my copy of Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", for #26577:

The closest numbers were: (26572 - '96C sold at Raritan Arsenal, 07/31/1922') and (26566 & 26591 - '96Carbines Troop F 2nd Cav, Cleaned & Repaired at Springfield Armory, 07/14/1900').

Caution, Caution, Caution - Close means nothing. Krags were not made, accepted for service, or issued in numerical order. There are lots of carbines in the 258XX to 352XX range. Carbine production was done in 'Blocks', during certain calender periods, (but then, Krag #26596 was a Rifle)! Finished numbered receivers were put in parts bins. Odd and random things occurred.

Further Caution: I find Joe Poyer's 'Krag Book' a convenient useful tool and take it with me on trips. It is handy and serves me well. However, some of his nomenclature and 'type' labeling of part changes is not official and bothersome. There are other minor mistakes and assumptions. At least one 'Former KCA Member' and legitimate Major Krag Authority goes ballistic at the mention of 'Poyer's Book'. You will know, if you encounter Him on another forum and rub Him the wrong way!

OregonMike

Re: New owner of a Krag carbine

Post by OregonMike »

Thanks! I will take your warnings seriously! I am going to try an attach 4 more pictures.ImageImageImageImage