New Member with an acquired Krag...?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fishrmann

New Member with an acquired Krag...?

Post by fishrmann »

Hello all!

I recently acquired a Krag from my Grandfather who recently passed. I am having a hard time finding out some history about it. Hopefully you can see the marking clearly in the pictures, if not, I can always supply them if needed. I did find a Reichsadler stamp on it from Nazi Germany which intrigues me. I am assuming it has a story with that symbol on it. However, the firearm does not appear to be original. Does this gun have any value to it as well?

My grandfather was an avid gun collector all his life. However, no one else in the family has any interest in guns. That is why I have gotten it. Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

-NickImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: New Member with an acquired Krag...?

Post by butlersrangers »

'fishrmann': Welcome to the KCA forum. Your Krag was manufactured in Norway and has the Crown and "K" mark of the Kongsberg Waffenfabrikk (arms factory). It was apparently produced or modified in 1944, during the Nazi Occupation and some sources identify it as the 'Model 1943 Nazi Occupation Carbine'. Some of these 'occupation carbines' were modified from earlier rifles and the original markings were obliterated. Other occupation rifles were of new manufacture. The barrels were approximately 24 inches long and fitted with a sight hood/protector. The stock forearm rendering is peculiar to this arm. These rifles were crude by Norwegian standards. Most are marked NA, NB or NC in front of the serial number and bear a German Waffenamt. The rifles are historically interesting, but, often referred to as Stomperud Krags (a Norwegian Comic Character).
Your rifle has been altered ('sporterized') for Hunting (commercial sights, barrel shortened, butt altered). This hurts its collector value. But Hey! It's your Grandpa's Rifle - Enjoy it! (BTW - It is chambered for 6.5X55mm 'Swedish Mauser', a great hunting cartridge and readily available).Image

fishrmann

Post by fishrmann »

butlersrangers,

Thank you for the history lesson! I appreciate it! A lot of interesting facts. I am by no means a collector. While I am an avid hunter, I tend not to hunt with guns. So I don't have much need for it. Do you think this gun has any monetary value to a collector?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If it has a nice bore, your 'Stomperud' Krag would have utility value to a shooter/hunter of $200 to $300, IMHO. It is beyond restoration as an historic piece.
Do yourself a favor and buy a box of 6.5X55mm ammo and shoot your Grandpa's rifle. You may find yourself Bonding to it!
(Photo of Norwegian 'Stomperud' comic character, aka '#91'. Probably kind of like our 'Beetle Bailey' in performing his Compulsory Service).

fishrmann

Post by fishrmann »

I will do that! Thank you!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Chuck - a couple of questions: (1) what is the meaning of the word "stomperud"? (2) What is that strange-looking device pictured below the rifle? Thanks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: I believe the strange looking device is a grenade launcher for the 'Stomperud' Krag.

In regard to the meaning of "Stomperud", I don't understand Norwegian (I wish I did!). However, I believe it is a family name.
In 1937, a comic series was started in Norway, based on a Swedish comic stip. The Swedish character was named 'Mandel (Almond) Karlsson', service #91. The Norwegian conscript was named 'August Stomperud', service #91.
"#91" is a nave, but smart and good natured recruit, who has many funny mishaps in life. He is liked by others, including his superiors.
During the Nazi Occupation, the '#91' comic strip was used to secretly mock the occupying forces and Quisling Government.
The Germans ordered some 30,000 Krags to be produced during the occupation. Fewer than 4,000 were produced. I suspect there was an 'inside joke' in referring to the occupation Krags by the term 'Stomperud'. One may have to be a Norwegian comic fan to understand, or maybe not.ImageImage