1st post and 1st Krag just today

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
RetiredNSmilin308

1st post and 1st Krag just today

Post by RetiredNSmilin308 »

Hello new friends.

I used to be a long-time member of the M14 forum but an over zealous moderator made that no fun anymore. I saw nothing wrong with celebrating Ramadan with pork ribs, personally. My bad? Am currently also on the FAL Files, but they won't let noobs post pics there. Only contributors. So here I am.

I will fill in my profile in a bit.

I have always loved surplus rifles as most everyone. There is something about the steel & wood that all of this new polymers & aluminum cannot hold a candle to.

I can see down below that I can post photos here.

Sometimes God, the Barraka, the universe, and luck smiles upon you.

Just today I picked up a Krag Carbine. I know you buy the rifle not the story but...

The gear does seem to match the story. I saw it on BackPage Phoenix for $350 I guess because it is not painted black and have a 30 round magazine, no one in the area was interested.

OK, here are the details and I will follow up with pictures.

1894 US Springfield Armory. The US is above the SA. then 12XX serial number.
28 cartouche on the heel of the stock.

That is just the rifle. It gets better...

a.) It came with a Winchester Super X yellow box of ammo with 13 rounds left. 180 gr silvertips, product number 30403. What is cool is the box has a price tag of $4.75 with the words Yellow Front on the tag too. Probably the store that sold it.

b.) It came with a horse scabbard that has seen years of use and has molded itself over the rifle through many years of riding over hill & dale.The scabbard has an oval makers mark. E. G. Noble Heprener, ORE. and Maker in the middle of the oval.

c.) Then, imagine my suprise when I opened the cleaning gear hole in the stock and out pop four things. A three section cleaning rod with a slot in one end for patches and a thin little all steel oiler with a knurled end cap.

NOW THE STORY:
The guy said it was his great grandfather's and he was in the army during the Spanish-American war in the cavalry. More as I learn.ImageImageImageImage

Parashooter

Re: 1st post and 1st Krag just today

Post by Parashooter »

The arm in the pictures appears to be a "sporterized" rifle, not originally a carbine. While it might have served in the war with Spain, it was more likely to have done so with the infantry.

If you can resist being coy about the serial number, some of the advanced collectors here may be able to tell you much more about it.

RetiredNSmilin308

OK, fixed the SN issue.

May I ask what was your major indicator as to it not being an original carbine? I am not doubting, just asking. Was it barrel length?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Not likely a carbine because: Not a carbine stock.
Non-Krag 'Banded' front sight (common indicator barrel was shortened).
'1894' dated receiver (only about four experimental 1892 carbines were built). First significant carbines in large numbers were Model 1896. Some of these will be dated 1895.
(Sling swivels indicate Rifle). Model 1896 Carbines had a ring on a plate on the left side of stock near wrist. A 'carbine hook' snapped onto the ring and allowed carbine to be slung on cross-shoulder belt.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

These are better pics than the ones you posted on GVB.

My basic answer doesn't change, but the model of sight does - that is an 1896, so, the question changes to 1800 or 2000yds?

Butlersrangers sums it up pretty well, except there were only two M1892 carbines.

The story may have been true as far as it went - that gun would definitely have seen SAW service. What you were not told was that he modified it to hunt with. That is a neat (and old) scabbard. The ammo dates from the 1950s/60s.

RetiredNSmilin308

Thank you all.

It was a bit of a disappointment, but only mildly so.

Now I can actually go and shoot it without worrying I am messing up a museum piece.

BULLY!

Now someone point me the way to Kettle Hill?

PS...the scabbard might be worth more than the rifle, then?ImageImage

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

I would say you made a good deal for that gun at that price, if the bore is decent. I see far worse for far more on the auction sites every day.

RetiredNSmilin308

Thank you, gnoahh, I poked around a gun shop and a pawn shop today, and the ones I saw were in pretty so-so shape and they wanted $800 for those. That was just for the rifle, and nothing else.

I cleaned the bore. It was dirty, but that was all. It came out beautiful. No throat erosion that I could see and the rifling was sharp and well defined.

I think I have a keeper here.

I don't ride horses, but i think the scabbard and the ammo will make a nice deco piece for my man cave when I get one.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Just for grins, I googled Heppner, OR, along with Noble - and found that they were - supposedly - a well-known saddle-maker. You might have a real gem there; well worthy of further research! As mentioned above, the scabbard could be worth more than the gun.

While I do not ride, either, one of my great-grandfathers, David E.Walker, founded the well-known Visalia Stock Saddle Company in Visalia CA, in 1870, so, old leather items have always interested me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your Krag 'hunting rifle' was obviously well cared for. The whole package (rifle, 3 piece rod and oiler, and scabbard) makes a great story. Enjoy and use!

(p.s. Make sure you have the name of the seller's great-grandfather. You can probably research his SAW service).