1st post and 1st Krag just today

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Dick Hosmer

Re: 1st post and 1st Krag just today

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Part 2:

But, the story isn't over! About 9 months later I found another short-barreled Krag with a 1901-type sight, good looking front sight, and chopped 1902-dated stock. When the seller told me the S/N (389182) it was again right next to two previously recorded BoOF rifles, 389185 and 389186! This time, BIN was $350!!
The guy's photos were not good, and I have to admit that I took a bit of a gamble as regards the sight - I still stole the rifle (but paid his price, on a public forum where others had had their chance and passed for whatever reason).

My heart was pounding as I pulled it out of the wrapping three weeks later - yesssss!! - the special (2100yd) sight was there! That gun will have the stock restored, as it had obviously been cut by a hunter, yet everything else was right - even the front sight blade, which is slightly lower and cut at a slightly different slope than a normal 1898.

So, I have one wounded duck and one question mark. The barrelled actions are unquestionably genuine, but the fittings either need work, or verification, or both.

But, there were no misplaced zeroes!

My apologies to older members who have heard this all before.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Great story Dick. I rejoice in your persistence and success!
To paraphrase the character, Barry Kripke, (Big Bang TV Show): "It's why we cowect Kwags"!

Brent

Post by Brent »

Personally, I love the use of the word Tactical. It makes it much easier and faster for me to pass on by without pause.

I don't suppose this is a special 2100 yds sight? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=428215401

Sometimes I think the search is worth more than actual item. Sort of like real hunting actually.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

1901 Family of sights:
The first photo shows a 1901 Carbine Sight above a 1901 Rifle sight. Note that the inside edge of the 'legs' of the Carbine sight ladder remain perpendicular. The inside edges of the Rifle ladder slowly angle to the left to correct for bullet drift.
The second photo is of a likely Board of Ordnance and Fortifications sight. It was on a rifle Mr. Hosmer recently spotted on gunbroker. The rifle looked 'Suspect', but the sight appeared correct. Note the inside edges of the sight ladder are perpendicular, like a 1901 Carbine sight.ImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

All of a sudden, I am brain-dead, BR. Could you refresh my memory? Are you sure that isn't a pic of the sight on Joe Farmer's rifle? I know he sent one in, and do not recall such an obvious clear photo of anything on GB?? Thanks.

I have never posted a pic of mine - but I will, now that the work on my second book is done. I have a lot of pictures to take in order to bring my webpage up to date.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: As I recall, you recently drew KCA Forum member attention to a 26 inch barreled Krag that was listed for sale. I believe it was on gunbroker, but, possibly it was some other auction site. The 'Seller' did not fully respond to your inquiries and maybe seemed evasive. I believe the price was in the $4,000 to $5,000 range.
The Krag looked suspicious to me, and others, because of variations in finish and what I took to be a 'seam' behind the front sight base. (That is the only other picture I kept). Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Funny, I do remember that we had a lot of discussion about that front end - but the sight had slipped my mind - perhaps because I would not (could not) pay that much!!!

Also, there is one very strange thing about that sight - note that the odds and evens are contrary to standard placement. Mine is too, as are the examples in Mallory and Brophy.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: Your original post can be found on page 10 of the forum - "Another BoOF appears to have surfaced". (It was further back than I remembered - 1/3/2014).
The rifle was listed on gunbroker - Starting at $14,000 & No Returns! The stock was an admitted replacement.
IIRC - there were several detail pictures, but no overall picture. I am sure I captured the rear sight picture from the gunbroker listing. Here is another picture I found. Let the Buyer Beware!Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: It is interesting, as you note, that the likely BoOF Krag sight leaf has the odd and even scales reversed (from the armory practice with the 1901 rifle & carbine sights). I also notice that the 'eye-piece' on the gunbroker photo has the "c" (carbine marking).Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: I know that the top base of the BoOF sight has a smooth incline and lacks the step or 'plateau' present at the front of the ramp on 1901 rifle & carbine sight bases. However, I have a few questions:
1. Does the BoOF top base have the same spacing and graduations as a 1901 carbine sight base?
2. Is the BoOF base marked with a "C"?
3. Do you think the BoOF top bases were made specifically for the experimental 26" rifles or just 're-machined' carbine bases?

doesImage