1st post and 1st Krag just today

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Dick Hosmer

Re: 1st post and 1st Krag just today

Post by Dick Hosmer »

1. No
2. No
3. The graduations (which I believe were one of the last operations) are different, so I believe they took "regular" bases at some intermediate point and removed the steps, probably "by hand". This is very easily done. Early on, I built a 'wall-hanger look-alike' BoOF sight for 388786 from loose parts in my odds and ends box. I doubt it took me an hour using only hand tools - finished it by stoning; and a skilled machinist could cut that time way down. I do not believe they set up much in the way of machine jigging for 100 pieces. I would also think they took carbine ladders in the finish-machined state and *stamped them with the new info. That would allow them to use a standard slide.

*the books say "some" were stamped "by hand". I'd think they all were, as, while I've only seen a very few, I have never seen one without some irregularity in the strikes. Nor have I seen one with any intermediate lines.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks Dick: I'm not trying to enable 'fakery', but quite the opposite!
Please tell us more about your current "New" book?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Short version:

Poyer and Riesch wrote the first edition of their basic TD book in 1992. I jokingly chided them for leaving so much out. They called my bluff and offered to pay me to write a book about the rare .45-70 stuff. I accepted, but, early on in the process realized that the .58/.50 arms needed coverage too. Joe agreed to shifting the priorities and so I did that part first, using the first half of my 'master manuscript' - it having soon become clear that we had reached two-book size. The first volume was released in 2006. I have been polishing the remainder ever since, as well as picking up a few specimens for inclusion, as I could find (and if I could afford) them.

Book 2 will include all of the limited-production trapdoors, and, like the first book, all of the contemporary arms made at SA, so it will have the 1875 Lee Vertical breech, all five 1st & 2nd Model 1879/80 martial Hotchkiss arms, as well as the 1884 Chaffee-Reece. The 3rd Model Hotchkiss was made entirely by Winchester, and is not included. I'm guessing at a slightly thicker book, with 325+/- photos. We are hoping for an early 2015 publication. Ordering information (signed copies, for those who want them, will - unless something changes - be available only from me) and pricing will follow when appropriate.

People have asked about pre-ordering, and sending checks, etc. but that is still a little premature at this point. Thanks for your interest!

noble13

Post by noble13 »

E G Noble is my great great great grandfather. He started Noble Harness and saddle in He ponder oregon in 1880

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Obviously, you and the original poster need to "get together"!