Should I bite??

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GregC

Should I bite??

Post by GregC »

I just returned from visiting our local Cabela's. While looking through their used guns I found an 1898 Krag infantry rifle with a stock date of 1903. They were asking $600 for it. There were a number of issues that I saw on preliminary inspection: the metal was not pitted but had a salt and pepper finish, there was a 2" crack in the buttstock, the handguard appeared to be cracked through lengthwise, and the front sight post was missing, as was the stacking swivel. The bolt appeared to cycle well. Otherwise the cartouch and proof mark were still clear on the stock, which did not appear to have been refinished. Couldn't check the bore. I'm wondering whether or not it makes sense to buy this piece. I believe I can repair/restore the handguard and stock, but I'm wondering about the front sight post...

Are these fairly easy to find?

Would you guys, as specialized collectors, jump at this opportunity, or pass??

Thanks for your comments.

Greg

Dick Hosmer

Re: Should I bite??

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Seeing nothing worth jumping at, I cast my vote for PASS.

You should not have to accept that many flaws for $600. The front sight has to be redone by a real artist - and it is one of the first things people look at. If it looks "iffy", then the whole rest of the gun comes (rightly or wrongly) under suspicion.

Suggest you look around at www.gunbroker.com

GregC

Post by GregC »

Thanks for the insight. This Cabela's has many mis-identified, overpriced C&R's. I was hoping this one was salvageable, but I'll pass, as you suggest.

Greg

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, I wasn't going to bash Cabela's again, but your sentiments echo my own exactly.

I have been to one (Reno NV) once, and doubt that I'll ever return.

Over-priced crap served up with an attitude to boot. "I don't want to hear about all the things that are incorrect, which make our price too high - just put the rifle down so that the guy behind you can buy it" pretty well sums it up.

They were very ignorant when they started the Gun Library, and a few things slipped out as good, or at least fair, deals. When they got wind of it, seems like they just raised prices across the board at all stores, to harvest the dollars they had "lost".

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

All those big box sporting goods stores employ people in the gun departments, of whom 90% are ignorant of their job/don't care/don't want to learn/should work at WalMart in the household department. When perusing the used racks it's best to keep an open mind and answer your own questions. IMO the best purpose of those places is the amusement factor whilst waiting for the wife/GF to finish shopping for a new purse elsewhere in the mall.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I have occasionally seen some pretty good deals at the Cabelas in Dundee, MI, but it's obvious that the guys in the "Gun Library" are fairly un-knowledgeable. If you know what to look for, and what to know is a bad idea, you can do ok. Most of the older rifles in there are consignment anyway, so the price is set by the seller with a nice markup for Cabelas to make some profit too.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

While we're on the subject of Cabelas, they have some drawings going on for some big money gift cards. I could use one or two of them to get my powder supply up! Now through Dec 13th!