Interior barrel dimensions

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Brent

Interior barrel dimensions

Post by Brent »

My Krag sporter has a 26" barrel and I'm wondering if it started life as an original barrel, or if it is a replacement barrel. The barrel seems to measure 0.309" in the grooves a the muzzle and 0.300 or maybe a little more across the lands.

There are 4 grooves that are about 3x as wide as the lands. I haven't measured twist yet.

anyway, does this sound like a replacement barrel?

Thanks,
Brent

Parashooter

Re: Interior barrel dimensions

Post by Parashooter »

. . . does this sound like a replacement barrel?

No, but exterior contour and sight base holes are likely a better indication than internal dimensions.

Brent

Post by Brent »

I suspect the exterior has been turned down so I don't know that the contour would tell much.

There are only two holes visible on the barrel where the rear sight would have been They are now occupied by a different sight

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Brent: Here are some measurements that may help you determine if your Krag's barrel has the contour of an original.

1. Original Krag rear sight holes are approximately 3 1/4" and 5 1/2" from the front of the receiver.

2. The barrel diameter in front of the receiver ranged .982" to .987" (on the Krag I just measured).

3. Barrel diameter at the 'back' rear-sight screw was .929" to .930".

4. Barrel diameter at the 'forward' rear-sight screw was .832" to .835".Image

Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks, that pretty much settles it as a nonoriginal barrel. Mine is 26" and there is no way it could have been shortened from the rear and had both of those screw holes cut off. If they were welded over, I think I would still see one them by looking closely, and I don't. I'll measure the exterior but I think this one has to have been rebarreled.

Brent

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Gunsmiths often filled Krag rear sight holes by cutting off the screws, peening them over, and filing them flush. They can be difficult to detect when everything is 'in the white'. The screw locations usually show up discretely in a refinish.

Back in the 1920s and 1930s, a fair number of Krags were commercially re-barreled with 1903 Springfield barrels that were altered and chambered for .30-40. They will be lacking rear sight holes, unless a Krag sight was installed. The 1903 barrels have a different contour (because of the 1905 rear sight collar). They may bear 'slots' for cross-pins and U.S. Ordnance Bomb and date.ImageImage

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

With a 26" barrel, it might be a replacement barrel for a 1917 Enfield. Many of those were made, IIRC, by both Johnson Automatics and by High Standard. Those barrels would not have any holes for a rear sight. They did not have Enfield-type rifling and were common surplus items in the late 40s & 50s.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

With a 26" barrel, it might be a replacement barrel for a 1917 Enfield.

An Enfield barrel wouldn't be 26" long after removing enough breech (normally at least 1") to eliminate the oversize portion of the original .30/06 chamber.

Brent

Post by Brent »

I'll pull the stock again but I think the only marks are a "P" but I might be misremembering.

What is the twist of an original Krag?

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

What is the twist of an original Krag?

1 turn in 10" - same as .30/06 standard.