1896 Krag Sporter

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
sigman2

1896 Krag Sporter

Post by sigman2 »

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please be kind. :)

I see that you have to post at least one "normal" message before you can add links so here's my "normal" message.

sigman2

Re: 1896 Krag Sporter

Post by sigman2 »

Here's my "real" questions.

I'm trying to find out exactly what I have here.
I posted these questions on another forum but haven't had much luck.

I picked up this jewel a while back but haven't done anything except fire it. I am considering removing the Rice peep sight and installing a vintage Lyman receiver sight. I know when removing the Rice sight I will have to replace the extractor rivet. I am also considering going back with an original '96 sight. I don't know if I really want to drill and tap the receiver.

This rifle has the prettiest grain of any military wood I have ever seen. Too bad it was sporterized with a pistol grip being added and some rather crude checkering. The fore-end tip, grip cap and butt plate are like nothing I've seen before. The workmanship is excellent except for the crude checkering. The front sight has a Lyman blade pinned in the Krag base.

Is this an original length barrel? I doubt it since it's 24". The bore is like new.

What era do you think this conversion was done? A friend said it looks like 1920s.

What do I have?

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/sigman2/slideshow/1896%20Krag%20Sporter%2099332

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'sigman2': Welcome to the KCA forum! I am glad you are enjoying your 'sporterized' Model 1896 Krag. It (#99332) was built around June, 1898, as a 30 inch barrel infantry rifle. The barrel was cut down to 24 inches and the front sight base was remounted. There is no issued U.S. Krag model with that length barrel. The custom work was probably done in the 1920s or 30s. Lots of local gunsmiths and home craftsmen altered Krags to make useful hunting rifles. (Hard to believe, but, aluminum - butt plate & grip cap - was once kind of an exotic metal)! It is great you have an excellent bore and your stock is a beautiful piece of walnut. I would recommend you use and enjoy your rifle as it is. Your Krag does not have great value (around $300) because it is altered and its dated style and workmanship does not appeal to everyone.
Some collectors like the 'Rice sight' and these seem to sell for around $50 on ebay.
Hand-guards, cut down 1896 military stocks, 1896, 1901, & 1902 rear sights show up on ebay and at gun-shows. These could be put on your Krag and would give it more of a military carbine appearance. However, these parts are expensive and do not increase the value or 'correctness' of your altered Krag. IMHO: Enjoy your Krag for what it is and if you want a correct military one, shop and buy another!

sigman2

Post by sigman2 »

Thanks for the reply.

I have 1892 and 1902 rear sights. However, I would prefer mounting a Redfield 102-K or a Marble K-1 or K-2 "No Drill" sight.

Presently I have 4 Krags, 2 '98s in original rifle configuration, this sporter and everything I need to build another 24" sporter/short rifle on a '92 action. I assume it's a '92 as it's stamped 1894 #3758.

Are the '92, '96 and '98 bolts interchangeable? The '92 bolt fits my '96 receiver perfectly and headspaces fine.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'sigman2': As you probably know, it's actually the 'Pacific' K1 & K2.
My favorite 'no drill' sights are the Redfield 102K and the Pacific K1. It is easy to raise their elevation-slides for removal of the Krag bolt. Both of these sights have a 'set-screw' for easy return to the desired elevation setting.
The micrometer versions from both manufacturers lack a 'quick-release' and make it inconvenient to remove the rifle bolt. Return to a prior setting is hit and miss.
I'm posting a picture of the S20-KR Marble's sight, which is relatively rare and required threaded holes. (This is a very strange and inconvenient sight, but interesting).
It sounds like you have a nice 'battery' of Krags! No drill sights show up at gun shows and on ebay all the time.
I'm not totally sure on your 'bolt question'. Later Krag bolts work in earlier actions. It is likely your Model 1892 Krag was up-dated to 1896 modifications. Has your receiver been modified and 'notched' for the bolt 'hold-open pin' that projects out of the 1896 extractor?
Hey, post some pictures of your other Krags. We all enjoy sharing! ImageImageImage

sigman2

Post by sigman2 »

Thanks for the reply and photos of the sights. That's exactly what I want, either a Redfield 102-K or a Pacific K1.

Yes, my '92 receiver does have the notch for the bolt hold open pin.

I try to get some photos posted of my 2 '98s and the components for the '92 build.

sigman2

Post by sigman2 »

OK, I forgot I already had photos of my CMP '98. It was the better grade and has a bright, sharp bore that slugs at .308". This one was hand picked by me at the South Store.

I must be fortunate because all four of my Krags slug at .308". I refuse to purchase a rifle with a sewer pipe or shot out barrel.

CMP 1898 Krag

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/sigman2/slideshow/1898%20Krag%20427904

My first 1898 - A gift from my wife

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/sigman2/slideshow/1898%20Krag%20431461

My '92 parts to build a cut down rifle. I have the 24" barrel and cut down stock packed to protect them.

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/sigman2/slideshow/1892%20Krag%203758

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'sigman2': Nice Krag pictures! It looks like you did quite 'OK' getting a Shooter at the Southern CMP Store.

Your '1st' Model 1898 is a real nice looker. I have not seen the small "NJ" cartouche before. I took the liberty of saving your detail photo as an example. I would bet that stock saw some use on the New Jersey National Guard Range at Sea Girt in the early 1900s. (It appears someone put the stock from a Krag accepted in 1899 with a barreled /action, #431xxx, built in early 1903. Still, a very lovely Krag).

Thanks for sharing!ImageImage

sigman2

Post by sigman2 »

Thanks.

Yes, I was aware of the stock discrepancy.

I already have a lead on a Redfield 102-K sight.