Scoping a Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Brent

Re: Scoping a Krag

Post by Brent »

Perhaps I'll rethink this scope thing. Though I really would like to do it. The Weaver looks like the best of the option's that I've actually seen on the Krag. I agree it is not exactly handsome. I wonder if a lot of excess metal might by filed away and perhaps those big knobs could be exchanged for countersunk slotted screws?

I was wondering if G&H or Noske 1903 mounts could work.

three weeks ago, I had never bought a bolt rifle. As of today, I now have two. It will be a long up hill climb for me. These are a lot more complicated than a singleshot.

While I like the Pacific sight, it too has to be removed to pull the bolt and that definitely will change the zero.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Many, many years ago, there was a Lyman receiver sight for the Mannlicher and other split-bridge bolt action rifles. Opening the bolt made the sight arm swing back. It snapped back into place. Closing the bolt made the sight arm work in reverse. If you found one, it would probably work for a Krag. Lots of parts for an iron sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Brent: Since you already have a 'MVA B5' Scope and were looking for a classic target scope appearance, perhaps Steve Earle Products, Plympton, MA. (781-585-3929) can help you. They seem to make custom blocks and off-set mounts at reasonable cost. (steven.m.earle@comcast.net).
ImageImageImage

Brent

Post by Brent »

Now THAT is cool. I know Steve does special stuff, including blocks but I didn't know he did stuff like that.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

As for the Kraghaus sight rail, I have the six inch model on my sporter, along with the AIM intermediate eye relief scope. I use this for Cast Bullet competitions at 200 yards, and it works pretty good. I had to drill and tap the barrel for the rear sight rail screw, but since my barrel is cut down to 24", that didn't bother me. Here's a picture of the rifle: ImageImageImage