Scoping a Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Brent

Scoping a Krag

Post by Brent »

I just bought a .30-40 Krag (1898) sporter. It is very nicely done and I think I'm really going to enjoy this rifle once I get all the copper out of the barrel. I'm slowly making progress on that.

Meanwhile, am also considering what I want for sights. This rifle, being sporterized, has a small island with a Williams folding leaf rear sight. Actually probably sort of functional but not my cuppa tea.

I would like to find one of those Busk sights but after searching all the auctions and googling, I didn't find much of anything rifle related. Not even finding a whisper of one.

So, I also bought a Pacific receiver sight that slips into place w/o any drilling by using the magazine cutoff hole. This looks pretty practical to me, although I will have to remove some wood I think. that's not a major deal. This seems okay. Certainly not in the same class as the Busk from what I can tell, but it will work.

But I also would not mind putting a scope on this rifle. So, I did some more googling and found out about S&K mounts. Reference to them is everywhere. I think I found out how to buy one, but I wasn't impressed with what I read about them. I don't know how they attach. I think it might be via some sort of clamping that requires wood removal. I'm no really hot about that. And I would much much prefer to put a Fecker or Unertl or Winchester B5 scope on it, and I don't see that being particularly straight forward.

So, my question, at last, is, "How does one mount an external adjustable scope, like a Winchester B5 or Unertl to a Krag and where does one find the parts?"

Alternatively, if is not possible then, "Is there some other sort of semi-appropriate vintage scope system that would be better?".

The thought of a gold-ring Leupold 3x9 is exactly what I do not want to do.

Thanks,
Brent

PS. I'm not opposed to drilling holes in steel. Though I understand it can be literally hard to do on a Krag.

Parashooter

Re: Scoping a Krag

Post by Parashooter »

. . . How does one mount an external adjustable scope, like a Winchester B5 or Unertl to a Krag and where does one find the parts?

Use two of these on the barrel, which is easy to drill/tap. The hard part is getting the holes aligned and square to the receiver -

img

It's up to you to determine the appropriate base heights for your barrel contour and desired spacing (usually 7.2"). Brownells and others have them in stock for about $15-20. See http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/target-scope-bases-prod12730.aspx?avs|Style_1=Dovetail|Target%20Scope%20Base

img

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The problem is that the Krag ejects cases straight up, potentially binding things up if you need a quick second shot.

I just bought one of the MVA 5A reproductions of the Winchester scope. The factory mounts (for a single shot with an octagonal barrel) are very low. You might not be able to stick your finger between the scope tube and the receiver.

I think something with a long eye relief would be best. Maybe an old Lyman Alaskan. If your Krag still has an original barrel, you might be able to find a scope mount that uses the holes that held the military rear sight in place.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

From the classifieds here

KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member
Krag enthusiast!
New York State

Modify
We sell sight rails specifically made for U.S. Krag rifles. There are two sizes: three inch and six inch. The three inch replaces the rear sight on all models of U.S. Krag without any drilling or tapping. The six inch also replaces the rear sight, but extends all the way back to the shoulder of the receiver. To install the six inch rail one must drill and tap either one or two holes, as preferred.

Pictures and detailed descriptions are available at www.kraghaus.com

Prices are $34.50 for the three inch model, and $39.00 for the six inch model. Shipping is $3.50 per rail.
Don't know if the prices are current. I have one and it works well so far.

Brent

Post by Brent »

I am somewhat concerned about clearance for ejection, so an over-center position is problematic. Maybe really tall block would work but they would probably make it hard to see through the scope - but maybe not. Some experimenting with wooden blocks and tape might help.

The Picatiny rail system is not what i had in mind. Rather, something like a off-set mounts such a Noske, G&H, Hart, Jaeger and probably others. I know these exist for 1903s, but I don't know if they were made for Krags. And I'm not sure what sorts of scopes work in them. Perhaps they are standard diameter rings. I don't see anything like those that would work with a Unertl or a B5 (I also have a MVA B5 and that would be ideal to put on this rifle, if possible).

An offset mount would also allow for bolt clearance as well. I don't know if that would be an issue with some of other options.

Brent

Post by Brent »

I am somewhat concerned about clearance for ejection, so an over-center position is problematic. Maybe really tall blocks would work, but they would probably make it hard to see through the scope - or maybe not. Some experimenting with wooden blocks and tape might help.

The Picatiny rail system is not what i had in mind. Rather, something like a off-set mounts such a Noske, G&H, Hart, Jaeger and probably others. I know these exist for 1903s, but I don't know if they were made for Krags. And I'm not sure what sorts of scopes work in them. Perhaps they are standard diameter rings. I don't see anything like those that would work with a Unertl or a B5 (I also have a MVA B5 and that would be ideal to put on this rifle, if possible).

An offset mount would also allow for bolt clearance as well. I don't know if that would be an issue with some of other options.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

A way around the straight-up ejection is a piece of nicely bent/rolled sheet metal - in the shape of a "9" (with straight tail) - wrapped around the tube, which will deflect the empty to the right. Of course there are issues with the safety as well. While the issue safety can be diddled with so as to be marginally effective, it is NOT a good (or safe) solution. Buehler made an excellent safety but I'm not sure they are still in business.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Buehler is long gone, but the low scope safeties show up from time to time on ebay, or one could buy another sporter that has it already on there. The Kraghaus mount works good with an intermediate eye relief scope. I've found an el cheapo scope off ebay works best. Pistol scopes, for example the Bushnell, have too much eye relief. If you can deal with drilling and tapping the receiver, the Weaver mount gives you a scope offset to the left, but a good solid mount for about any scope. Then there's this thing. It's a Miller Kodiak Dreamount from the 1950s. Originally, a ring that fit the Krag barrel was the mounting point for the front spring. No longer findable, so I put on a dovetail between the front sight holes. Ejection is still a problem, I just turn the rifle to the right when working the bolt. I'm used to being a single shot hunter, so don't much worry about the speed of another shot. The Dreamount can be mounted low, or if needed it has some little things that raise it 1/4" or so. I can mount a 6x24x40mm scope, and keep the standard safety, if I want. Scope shown is 6x Weaver.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - None of the scoping options look very nice on a Krag Sporter and the modifications 'to make things work' are unattractive. I think Redfield receiver sights, drill and No-drill, look best on a classic sporter.

I have never had the heart to have holes drilled into a Krag receiver. I do have a Model 1898 Krag carbine someone else ruined. I filled the holes with a Weaver side-mount. It is quite solid and allows easy ejection. But, it has the following objections:

1. The scope & mount has to be removed to remove the rifle bolt for cleaning. (Easily done but potentially can change zero).
2. The scope being off-set causes neck strain in a Range Session. (Slip-on cheek piece recommended).
3. Scope interferes with original safety-lever.
4. The whole rig is ugly! (In the eye of the beholder). ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

When it comes to the Weaver mount, I've seen them done as above, and mounted further out with the forward holes on the receiver ring. The one I have has the holes further forward. I have seen G&H mounts on Krags, tried to get the mounting part from a fellow so I could duplicate it, but didn't get it. Pachmayer also made a swing away side mount.