Buried 30-40 ammo

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Mike

Buried 30-40 ammo

Post by Mike »

I'm father Inlaw gave me his dads 1898 krag rifle full military some 20 years ago. Then recently he told me he buried hundreds of military krag ammo on the property about 40 years ago. What shape would they be in and would the be save to dig them up. I wouldn't even consider loading them. I load my own krag ammo. Also I bought some krag ammo stamed Remington UMC 30 US, 220 grain soft point round nose. How old are they? Thanks :) :)

Dick Hosmer

Re: Buried 30-40 ammo

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'd think buried ammo could range from perfect to crap, all depending on precisely how and where it was buried. In the ground in NY, it never got too hot, but did it get wet? I'm not sure that extreme cold is a problem, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable could expound on that. If nothing else I'd certainly dig it up and at least have a look at it, rather than just panic and dismiss it out of hand.

Rem-UMC had to have lasted into the 60s-70s at least, maybe longer, perhaps even still in use? I have not bought any new ammo for a very long time. The 220 grain soft points died before the h/s, I'm sure - perhaps in the 1950s?

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Back in 1991, I was working in big bear country & thought I needed some 220s for my Krag. I was told by the proprietor of a gunshop dating from the 30s that the last 220 grain soft points were loaded in 1954. Same gunshop where the Puerto Rico buried Krag was photographed.

About the buried ammo: Mr Hosmer is correct. It all depends on how the stuff was buried. In watertight containers, maybe stored below the frost line, it may be as good as the day it was buried. Even if the containers are full of water, there will be salvageable bullets & perhaps cases. There will be a ready market for the bullets.

Primers may be dead & probably were corrosive. Powder is probably best used to fertilize your roses.

Some 1920s-1930s double base powders deteriorated after exposure to multiple freeze-thaw events and extreme cold (-30 F). Dump the powder into water.

Use a collet-type bullet puller, not a hammer type.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

Also bear in mind that brass will age harden (and crack). It's never a good idea to reload brass with a questionable history. It could blow up in your face!

MPF

Post by MPF »

Reincarnated,

They would probably know. I put a friend who collects Gyrojets in touch with Paul as he has some loose rounds of that odd duck.

Apparently he has quite a collection of rare ammunition.

Notlwonk

Post by Notlwonk »

Any time I get old ammo like that I'll pull the bullets, knock out the primers, check the cases for split necks and anneal the necks on the good ones. I have quite a few that have been processed that way, some dating back to 1899. I haven't shot any of them with full loads just mild cast.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thank your brothers for the advice. I'm going to find them and salvage the 220 grain bullets. I've taken a huge interest in the 30-40 round. I load them pretty mild, Nosler 180 grain ballistic tip boat tail using 41 grains of IMR 4350. I think my next rifle going to be a Win 1895 in the caliber.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you are going to salvage them and want to get rid of them... I might be interested in some 220 gr RN bullets. I shoot 220 gr in my krag in all competitions, and I've found that my Krag seems to like the FMJ bullets as opposed to the 220 gr RN SP that Hornady currently produces. Unfortunately, 220 gr FMJ bullets from Sierra or Woodleigh are terribly expensive!

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'll let you know when I find them. First I have to get me a metal detector. My father inlaw is 84 and his memory is not as good as it used to be and he forgot the very place he buried them. 220 fmj is also getting hard to find.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

well maybe if the Krag Group were to approach a vendor to make some I think they would give you a price per 100/1000 ectra, it is worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained!