New here - and new to Krags

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GamecockOperator

New here - and new to Krags

Post by GamecockOperator »

I've been officially collecting rifles for about 5 years now, but have been a life long shooter. That being said, i am just now getting around to expanding my American Milsurp collection some.

I may have an oppertunity to get an 1896 Krag. I believe it to be sporterized, sadly, and im unsure if it was born a carbine, cut down, or what. Any information y'all can offer is greatly appreciated. My investment for this krag would be a trade, of various parts i have laying around, worth maybe 200.00 total new. i assume it to be worth around 3-400 in its condition as it sits. Unfortunately i know nothing more about the rifle than what i've said, and what pictures i have of the rifle, which im including in this post.

Again, any information, thoughts, or comments are appreciated.

GamecockOperator

Re: New here - and new to Krags

img

img

img
img
img
img

GamecockOperator

img

thats all the photos i have at this time.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'GamecockOperator': Welcome to the KCA Forum. The Model 1896 Krag, you are considering, is an Infantry rifle that has been cut-down from its original 30" barrel length. It is likely, #80354 would have been manufactured late in 1897.

This Krag is only worth its utility value. All metal parts appear refinished and have been 'blued'. Holes were drilled into the receiver to mount the commercial Lyman rear-sight. The stock has been shortened, refinished, and has a comb extension and dreadful pistol grip added. It would still be useful for hunting. Such rifles get priced around $300, but, don't readily sell. Since every thing has been refinished, it lacks 'parts value' as a donor rifle.

As an aside, it appears the stamped markings, 'Springfield Armory, Model 1896, and 80354' have been "re-engraved". (curious)?

I hope this is helpful in your decision making.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

If it were me, I'd pass. There's just nothing left, and Krags are not rare in any sense of the word. You can do much better.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Welcome. Does your "handle" imply South Carolina? Long before I was Reincarnated I spent a lot of time there. The rifle is definitely in the "sow's ear" category, but the Lyman sight looks to be a 48. That makes it marginally collectible. Unless the bore is absolutely brand new, the sight is the only redeeming feature I see.

craigster

Post by craigster »

Might be worth the parts you have, but that's about it. Depends on how bad you want a Krag.

GamecockOperator

thank you all for the comments.

i met with the guy today to look at the rifle, and also to show what i had. I showed him my stock and sight, and he seemed mildly interested. he wants more time to think about it.

looking at the rifle in person, it looked real good. It had obviously been restored as you all had mentioned. in person the blueing is near perfect. it didnt look like the springfield had be re-engraved, but i could be wrong.

The guy who owns it got it from a buddy he said, and is on the fence of trading it. Im on the fence on getting it, and would have gotten it only because of it being a few parts that i have very little money in to do so. (I would have / will walk away with under 130 invested)

He said he wants to think it over and get back to me. which is fine.

What id prefer to have, in all reality, is a period correct KRag. and a period correct 1903. I already have a garand, although i want more.. and i want a m1 carbine as well as a thompson.

about my handle, yes, I'm a SC guy. I use the same handle on all of my firearm forums for simplicity. After being born and raised in the suburbs of DC (virginia side) i returned to my home state of SC. I never wish to leave :)

The gentlman with the rifle, was told that it shoots 762x54r, and i tried to correct him on that. He has not fired the gun, and i pray he doesnt with that round. One reason hes thinking of getting rid of it is because of the cost per round of 30-40.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

GamecockOperator: This does not really matter, since the Krag you are considering has been refinished.

But, FYI, here is a photo showing the coloring and stamped markings on a Krag that has not been messed with. Krag receivers were casehardened and turn gray & silvery with age and wear.

I have copied your photo for comparison. You can see that someone has very nicely 'chased' (engraved) the stamped markings, after 'bluing', on the rifle you are considering. That is why there is no finish in the markings.ImageImage

GamecockOperator

i see what you mean. Sounds like someone had this rifle and while didnt care about the historical part, put alot of money into it as a sporter. I havent heard back from the guy yet, and i dont think ill persue it. If he does contact me and want a trade, I may do it just to have it for such a cheap investment..

ideally i'd prefer to have a unmolested krag, for historical purposes and be able to take it out occasionally and fire it.