Another pre-Krag project.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Another pre-Krag project.

Post by butlersrangers »

Some weeks things can just fall into your lap. When I got my Spanish Mauser the other day, my local gun shop also had a partial Model 1873 Springfield (It is missing Lock, trigger guard assembly, butt-plate and all screws). The bore looked like the "black hole of Calcutta" with crud, rust, and spider webs. They sold it to me for $100 (Thank you axel grease, rust, and white paint splash)! I figured, I could make money on the stock and clearing rod, however, the bore cleaned up surprisingly well, bright with only very minor pitting.
Now, I have a winter project, cleaning and accumulating parts, to restore this ('1884 - cartouche') 1873 trap-door into a shooter. Here are some 'before' photos, with more to follow as restoration proceeds.
Anyone got a lead on a complete 1873 Lock? (Notice the damage to the Lock mortise, from improper disassembly, which Dick Hosmer has cautioned about).ImageImageImageImageImage

Dads Krag

Re: Another pre-Krag project.

Post by Dads Krag »

I love the paint spatter. It probably sat in a corner while they were painting a ceiling.

I picked up a Remington Model 512 .22 in a pawn shop several years ago that had similar paint spatter on it. Turned out to have an excellent bire.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Once my dad finally hands me the trapdoors from his mantle, I'll take the rifle out and go shooting with you!!! I've fired it a couple times, but he has forbidden me to shoot it again (until he's gone).

ww321q

Post by ww321q »

I just finished a M66 a few months ago. It was missing parts, badly rusted and the stock forend was warped and badly splintered. Locating all the parts without spending a small fortune was fun though. Can't wait to see yours when it's done. :) JW

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I've been taking my time cleaning paint off the stock. I took the breech-block out and soaked it in solvents. The firing-pin was jammed in the block with its tip projecting. I carefully drove it out of the block, tonight. It required a lot of force because the firing-pin was broken (long ago). There were burrs and rust on the firing-pin. It must have been dry-fired a lot in the broken state. The block may need replacing, because the firing-pin hole is kind of jagged and large.ImageImage

portugeejn

Post by portugeejn »

Looks like a great project! I seem to remember reading in one of my old 45-70 books about that issue. Since it was a low pressure cartridge they drilled it out, screwed in a bushing, then drilled out a new firing pin hole. Might be faster-better-cheaper to just purchase a new block, but that is what makes this kind of project so enjoyable-figuring out the next thing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

ww321q: I would like to see pictures of your Model 1866 restoration. I love Second Allin Conversions. You did a very nice job on the Model 1898 restoration you displayed on the Culver's Pages. How did you patch the bolt holes (glue, patching material, details)? It tuned out quite nice!
On this Model 1873 project, I've decided to stay with the parts that came on it. I think the breech-block is useable. The front barrel band was once driven off with a chisel. I dressed-off all the burrs that gouged into the stock. I going for a 'hard use' but serviceable appearance. This will be a 'Range gun' that I do not feel guilty shooting.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My 1873 Springfield project update:
I have the bulk of the paint splatter cleaned off of the stock and metal. I am continuing to clean tiny paint specks out of wood pores with a needle. I am attempting to fill some gouges and chipped areas with epoxy and walnut saw dust.
All of the metal got a long soak in mineral spirits to soften up dried grease and rust scale. This was followed with bronze brushing of heavy buildup and deposits. Most of the surface rust on the barrel was smoothed to a patina using a copper souring pad dipped in a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits, followed with burnishing with a popsicle stick and a film of 'Break-Free' preservative.
I've been shopping for parts. A firing-pin arrived and was installed today. A Butt-plate is in route. I am still looking for a Lock and Trigger-guard group.
Here are some pictures of the metal. The bore looks better than my pictures indicate.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I will post some pictures of the stock, when it is further along.ImageImage

Spgfield

Post by Spgfield »

I notice your TD has the Model 1879 rear sight (fourth model, as per Ernst and Waite).

As a matter of interest, the Model 1879 sight was the FIRST sight of "regular issue" that allowed for easy windage correction on any rifle.

Apparently some army ordnance types did NOT like this capability, as I've seen a couple of sights that had very neat (professionally installed) steel inserts that negated the ability to move the sighting notch latterly. --Jim

According to the afore-mentioned Ernst and Waite, serial 254588 was struck in the third quarter, July thru Sept., of 1884 . . . one of 7085 rifles built that quarter.