Interesting bayonet

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Interesting bayonet

Post by butlersrangers »

This Remington bayonet sold on Ebay today for around $170. I was interested, but unsure. I did not want to spend that much on a 'long-shot' and was not sure where the auction would end. The 'hanger hook' is very similar to the early Krag scabbards. This was described as a bayonet for the #5 Remington Rolling-Block. It would certainly fit that rifle, but, it will also fit a Model 1899 Remington-Lee. I suspect it might be the type of arrangement that was purchased by Michigan with their 2,000 Remington-Lee rifles and special Mills belts. I don't know for sure because this equipment is not well documented and the photos are never quite clear enough. I'm kind of kicking myself. I have never seen one of these scabbards before. The #5 Rolling-Block scabbards, I am familiar with, have always had leather frogs.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Interesting bayonet

Post by butlersrangers »

A known 'Michigan' Mills belt and another Mich. N.G. photo.ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Interesting bayonet

Post by butlersrangers »

"45govt" posted this picture today on the Culver's Pages. Great picture! ...Now if the guy would just get his gloved hands out of the way and would turn a little to the right....

(note - these National Guard photos seem to show bayonet hanging lower than 'hook type scabbard' alone, would allow. There must be a leather or cloth hanger involved).Image