1896 Front Sight Help Needed

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Diogenes

1896 Front Sight Help Needed

Post by Diogenes »

I am very happy to have found this forum. I thank you all for the information that I have found here. I couldn't find anything to help me with this so I am posting a question.

I have inherited an 1896 rifle that I think has been cut down and had its front sight replaced. The barrel is 24" and the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel.

Where can I get a replacement for the broken sight that I have (It doesn't seem to make an appearance anywhere I have looked on the web)? Or, alternatively, is there a front sight that will work as a replacement? I want to take this old girl out and shoot her.

Here are some pictures of what I have:

ImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Re: 1896 Front Sight Help Needed

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'd suggest a sleeved ramp which will cover up all the issues.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Or even an '03 Springfield type front sight, depending on the configuration of the "cut down"

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

For initial shooting purposes, I would just use epoxy or 'JB Weld' glue and cement the blade that you have back into the dove-tailed base. If it proves to be the correct blade height, I would make a nicer appearing blade out of German silver and cross-pin it into the base.
However, ultimately, if I bonded to this Krag, I would have a nice banded front sight put on it, as others have suggested.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Thanks for the input. I think I see a lot of merit in the glue it in place and see if it is the right height first school of thought.

I have a lot more to learn about these rifles and it is probably best to do that before I start buying parts blindly.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to add them.

As my wife keeps telling me, I need all the help I can get.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Well, she found an honest man!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

For initial shooting purposes, I would just use epoxy or 'JB Weld' glue and cement the blade that you have back into the dove-tailed base. If it proves to be the correct blade height, I would make a nicer appearing blade out of German silver and cross-pin it into the base.
However, ultimately, if I bonded to this Krag, I would have a nice banded front sight put on it, as others have suggested.

I said that (thinking of a sporting ramp) not having noticed that the stock is apparently near full length - I had just assumed it was whacked, too. We have never been shown a full length view - I believe it is on the order of a too-long "school gun", so that a sporting ramp (unless stock is to be modified as well) will look badly out of place. If stock is to remain as-is, an '03 type band would seem to be the answer. It may just be my old eyes, but either the barrel isn't cut square, or the dovetail is a trifle out of line. That can all be trued up, of course.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Diogenes: How long is the barrel on your Krag (Measured from muzzle to closed bolt-face)? An issued Krag rifle has a 30 inch barrel. The carbine has a 22 inch barrel. Early in the 1900s, Springfield produced some shortened rifles modified to take a bayonet. These are the 'School Rifles' mentioned by Dick Hosmer. These rifles used the 22" inch carbine barrel and a shortened rifle stock. Some hobbyists have turned their cut-down Krag into a facsimile of these rifles. It is a nice look for a 'shooter'. (Here is a recent approximation).Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That's not a 22" barrel.

School gun:Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Yes, Dick has the real deal. I didn't want to pirate a photo.