1896 Front Sight Help Needed

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Diogenes

Re: 1896 Front Sight Help Needed

Post by Diogenes »

Here are pictures of the whole rifle.

The barrel measures 24" and the overall length is about 43 1/4".

Please tell me what you see here. I really appreciate it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks for the pictures!

What I see is a model 1896 Rifle which has been shortened by someone other than SA. The barrel was cut with a hacksaw and not recrowned. The front sight was home-gunsmithed. The stock appears to be spliced a couple of inches ahead of the band (perhaps the original front end was just slid back 6"). The rear sight is the M1901 rifle.

What I would do if it were mine:
(1) True and crown barrel to exactly 24"
(2) Install a 1903 banded front sight
(3) Try to get a little better color match at the splice (optional)
(4) Find some ammo and go have fun.

Hope that helps!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Diogenes: I believe I forgot my manners and never said "Welcome to the KCA forum"! That is a nice looking cut-down Model 1896 Krag. It is regrettable that someone shortened it 6 inches. If I were in your shoes, I would do the following:

1. Assess the condition of the bore, glue the sight blade into its base, get a box of .30-40 ammo and shoot the rifle to see how it performs and if you enjoy using the Krag.

2. If you like the experience, I would have the muzzle re-crowned by a competent gunsmith. I would get a reproduction Krag front sight base, pin and blade from S&S Firearms or Numrich Arms, and have it re-shaped to use the dove-tail that is now present. This would be an inexpensive way to have a nice looking 'shooter', with no intent to deceive future collectors. (A good machinist could make such a base).

3. If the bore is bad or performs poorly, I would consider having a Criterion Krag rifle barrel put on it and splice a replacement forearm under the rear barrel-band. This route would likely cost $400-500 and give you a nice shooting rifle. However, it would not be collectable and you would never get your money back out of it. (I would not pursue this route).

(Photo to show appearance of original front sight and why it is necessary to remove blade to get front barrel band off and on).Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good eye Dick Hosmer! I did not notice the stock splice. (It doesn't alter the good advice that has been given).

IMHO - Krags can be seductive and it is easy to pour way too much money into 'restoration' attempts. Altered Krags are worth their parts and play value. If it is a family heirloom, it may be priceless to you, but to no one else.