New Krag owner

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
portugeejn

New Krag owner

Post by portugeejn »

Greetings,
I had never owned a Krag before, but was recently able to purchase one. It is as smooth as I have read. I thought to post a few pictures. Thanks to you all for answering all sorts of newby questions, as the answers have helped me figure out a bit of what I have. Looks to be a cut off rifle barrel 22.5" from the bolt face to the muzzle. 1896 carbine stock (sanded too much, but that it another story).

The Marbles sight was already present, but I added the Rice sight after seeing them talked about on this forum. (I am used to rimmed cartridges, being a fan of the .303 British, but my older eyes missed not having a peep sight like my No. 4 Mk. 1.) I reload, but brass seems to be in short supply. Feel free to comment on stuff you see that I didn't.

RonImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: New Krag owner

Post by butlersrangers »

"portugeejn": Welcome to the KCA Forum and congratulations on your first Krag. It appears your stock is actually a Model 1898 Carbine stock. It is quite similar to the Model 1896 Carbine stock except for the shape of the notch for the bolt handle root. I think your serial number is within the range for 1898 carbines. You should re-measure your barrel length carefully. A carbine barrel measures exactly 22 inches from muzzle to closed bolt-face.
This is a bit academic, since your front sight is a commercial replacement and the barrel has been dove-tailed for a commercial rear sight. Sling swivels are also incorrect on a Cavalry Carbine. Still, you have a very interesting and serviceable Krag. Enjoy!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree. I was wondering if the front sight removed and the banded sight installed to make it play better with the sporter rear sight (someone may not have liked the military rear sight and so made this mod). Given that it's within the known carbine range... it certainly makes one's eyebrow raise slightly...

portugeejn

Post by portugeejn »

OK, it was intriguing enough to get out the yardstick and measure it again. The mark is a pen line even with the end of the muzzle. The rod was inserted with the bolt closed and the rifle cocked. I won't probably try to take off the front sight to see what is under it.....

By the way, has anyone seen a front sight like that? It almost looks like it was riveted on.

RonImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ron: Thanks for double checking your barrel length. It certainly appears your barrel is a 'cut-down' rifle barrel. The barrel crown certainly suggests so.
(As a point of interest, I have a Model 1899 action that came to me in a 'sporterized' 1899 carbine stock. Its barrel is 22 & 1/4 inches long and obviously a replacement barrel with a banded front sight added).
Lots of dealers and gunsmiths were putting 'carbine-like' Krags together for hunting purposes in the 1920s and 30s. Some of these hunting rifles were made from carbines or used carbine stocks.
I have seen several 'riveted' band front sights, like yours. I am not sure who made them. It is possible they were sold by Stokes Kirk. Leroy Rice made some type of ramp front sight. I suspect yours was fabricated, heated up, driven onto the barrel, and cooled to a 'shrink-fit'.ImageImageImage