"Old Lucky" Gets a Pacific K-2 Receiver Sight

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Dads Krag

"Old Lucky" Gets a Pacific K-2 Receiver Sight

Post by Dads Krag »

I know this is a collectors forum & most of you are into restoring "original" Krag Jorgenson rifles, but I feel like my Dad's Krag is worth some effort. Right now I am restoring a circa 1930s sporterized Krag that my Dad bought for $12 back in 1958. I'm also improving it a bit as my Dad would probably have done if raising a pair of boys & moving to the Chicago area hadn't interfered.

I got the Pacific K-2 that I bought on e-bay in the mail yesterday. I spent the last day cleaning some minor rust out of the small nooks & crannies & mounting it on "Old Lucky". I knew right away that the gun was going to shoot WAY high. When I looked through the peep at the previously zeroed 1902 GI sights, I could see quite a bit of the post between the bead & the notch of the rear sight.

I turned a few threads off the end of the elevation screw allowing the sight to drop another .040". I set a cardboard box out at 50 yds & fired several rounds of hand loaded round with 165gr bullets from my rear deck. At the maximum low setting the gun shot a nice group just over 1" & about 2" high. That should Max out about 3.5" high at midrange & zero at just a bit over 200 yds. That suits me just fine.

The receiver sight sure beats the GI sights for deer hunting in the woods, & I didn't have to drill the receiver.

butlersrangers

Re: "Old Lucky" Gets a Pacific K-2 Receiver Sight

Post by butlersrangers »

Good Hunting!

Dads Krag

Re: "Old Lucky" Gets a Pacific K-2 Receiver Sight

Post by Dads Krag »

I worked up some RL-17 loads from Quick Load data today. QL predicted 2600 fps @ 42K, but QL is a bit enthusiastic W/RL-17

Started out W/44gr of RL-17 behind a Hornady FTX 160gr bullet seated for 3.075" OAL. The bullet was a bit shallow in the case but that OAL put it just .014" off the lands.

Worked my way up, getting so-so Mv consistancy. At 49.5gr I got my best standard deviation of 9.4 fps so I decided to put some on paper.

I set up a target @ 50 yds & shot a few groups dialing in the Pacific K-2 sight. After I got it zeroed, I screwed in the .063" aperature & really concentrated on my sight picture. I was holding 6:00 @ the bottom of the 4" orange spot.

img

Hornady makes 2 different .308 160gr FTX bullets. This is the 30395 bullet intended for 30/30 Win. It has a recommended Mv envelope of 1800-2600 fps. The one for the 308 Marlin, 30396 ups the envelope about 200 fps & it has a more streamlined ogive shape. Aside from the lower Mv envelope, I chose the 30395 due to its blunter ogive that allowed the bullet to get close to the the lands. Even W/the lower BC of .330, it should shoot + or - 3 1/2" out to about 250 yds W/the sights zeroed as they are. Looks like some effective Whiltetail/Black Bear medicine.

I might have to haul it up into my tri-pod stand that has a 240 yd shooting lane over a 15 acre cut-over area on my place. It was logged out in 2009 & I clear the shooting lanes every 2 years.