New Springfield

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Whitedice

New Springfield

Post by Whitedice »

Hey guys, I recently acquired a Model 1896 Springfield. Was sent here from SKS boards. I am wondering what all I can know about it? Does the extent of knowledge on these allow for more than just date of manufacture? Also, what is protocol for cleaning these? The gun is a little dirty/rusty and I would love to clean it up a bit without removing the patina.
I will post pictures in my second post.
Thanks for any information!

Whitedice

Re: New Springfield

Post by Whitedice »

Pictures
img
img
img
img
img
img

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

your safety is missing and the patina has some depth. I'd have a smith look it over well before shooting it.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Looks like you have a crack forming in the wrist area of the stock, which would require attention also.

Shooting your Krag will be very rewarding... but let's make sure its safe first.

Whitedice

Post by Whitedice »

Thanks for the advice. I am not really sure if this is a piece that I will shoot or not. If I do I will probably get an aftermarket stock of some sorts so that the crack in the original does not get any worse. I originally did not notice the safety was missing as I am not to familiar with these guns. As it stands with a missing safety and cracked stock, could anyone give me a rough estimation on value? Also, is there a serial number registry anywhere that I could possibly find more information about this particular rifle.
Sorry, lots of questions, but thanks for the help!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Don't worry about asking lots of questions. That's how we all learn, and we're all here to help each other out!

Records do exist, but don't be surprised if yours isn't listed... most aren't.

There are others here who can give you a much better idea of value than I could. However, with the cracked stock, missing safety, and rough metal, it will be on the lower end of the scale. How does the barrel look? Hopefully, the bore doesn't look pitted like some of the exterior metal does. The exterior won't prevent it from shooting though. The missing safety won't prevent operation either, as long as you keep it pointed in a safe direction. Replacement safety levers can be found from Numrich, Joe DeChristopher, and on EBay too.

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

keep your eye on this forum. members often have Krag parts for sale and if they had an action or partial action, you could work on some restoration. With the value a little on the lower side it might not hurt to do some restoration and make it a sharper piece. A lot depends on sentimental value and it sounds like that's not an issue. Good luck.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whitedice: Welcome to the KCA forum.
I would not give up on your Krag. It needs a good clean up and assessment. If the bore is in good condition you have a useful rifle. Your stock looks decent and the crack could be repaired and stabilized with epoxy bedding. The worst corrosion seems to be on your bolt and trigger-guard. Those two parts could be replaced for about $75 with parts listed on Ebay.
More (close-up) pictures would allow better feed-back on condition, rust removal, and care. Your rifle was assembled in 1897 and is a SAW veteran. Your rear sight and hand-guard were later upgraded (model 1902 sight and hand-guard).

Whitedice

Post by Whitedice »

Thanks for that information. What exactly does that mean though? SAW veteran?

For me, value is pretty important on this. So I dont really want to do a novice fix on that crack and risk lowering the value. I also don't want to sink a lot of extra money in this because it probably wont be an everyday shooter. I used to have a sporterized krag but ended up selling it off because of the ammo costs. Really, I wasnt looking for a krag but picked this one up because of the cost. With gas and everything I paid 370, which I think was a decent deal. Have not decided if I want to trade this off or hang on to it for the long term.

I will try to get some better pictures with some better lighting soon. Thanks for all the help guys!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

SAW = Spanish American War.

For what it's worth, my opinion would be to fix the crack. Fixing the crack would not lower the value, but would enhance the re-sellability, as would cleaning up or replacing the damaged/pitted bolt and trigger guard. Repairs can only increase the value of this. Also, cost of 30-40 ammo although high, is not as bad as some other rounds... and reloading can drastically reduce the cost (once the initial cost of reloading equipment has been offset).

I look forward to seeing the better pictures, as this can help give a more accurate estimation of value.