New Springfield

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Whitedice

Re: New Springfield

Post by Whitedice »

To me, that kind of information is why I would keep it. I like the historical information behind the guns. How do you know that it was used in the Spanish American war? Or is that just a guess based on the manufacturing date?

Thanks a bunch!

Pictures will be postponed untill the weather is a bit nicer. Its pretty cloudy and rainy today.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

Looks like with a bolt body, bolt sleeve, safety, trigger guard and some very careful stoning on the left side of the receiver, you could have a nice rifle. Don't be afraid of repairing the stock. There are cartouches on that original that you can't and would not want to duplicate.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whitedice: I have made the assumption that a Model 1896 U. S. Krag, assembled in 1897, would have seen use during the Spanish War or the long period of warfare in the Philippines. (I believe your rifle is #57813, if I am seeing your photo clearly). I don't believe there is a known listing of that specific rifle. Is there a fancy "JSA" and date in a round cornered box on the left side of your stock, ahead of the 'wrist' area? (This would be the acceptance 'cartouche' and was the initials of James Sumner Adams).
You have a Krag that would look more presentable with careful cleaning, minor part replacement (safety), and stock repair. Be patient, study restoration/cleaning techniques, don't exceed your abilities, and you will do no harm.Image

Whitedice

Post by Whitedice »

I am not sure if that is the exact serial number, but it should be close enough for the assumptions. I will double check it when I take it out for pictures.

On the cartouche, that is what confused me. The only mark that I saw was the stamp behind the trigger guard. It is not very deep, making me think the stock might have been sanded at one point? If that's the case I would not be as concerned about putting a couple of rods through the crack, epoxying it, and calling it good.

I am not sure if I have the capability to do a nice looking restore on that crack. I have refinished a few sks stocks with cracks, and the results were less than invisible. In fact, my only other experience with a krag is when I purchased a sporter with the stock completely split in half. Since it was an aftermarket stock, and I did not pay much, I went ahead and repaired it so that it at least was shoot-able. Needless to say, it looked pretty ugly.

I will for sure clean the gun up a little, hopefully tomorrow. After that I think I will be able to see what the condition of the metal and wood is in.

Thanks guys! Provided some much needed advice, and information about the gun.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

How about 67811? Fuzzy stamp!

Whitedice

Post by Whitedice »

I cleaned it up a little bit and took some new pictures. It is still rainy so went ahead and took them inside. Really most of the work was done underneath the wood on some rust. Not sure what all to get close ups on so if you need something extra let me know.
img
img
img
img
img
img
img
img

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

It looks like your Krag may not have been stored in the best of conditions... but all is not lost. The pitting on the exterior (bolt handle, rear sight, trigger guard, etc.) shouldn't affect the operation. And if the bore is not too bad, it should shoot fine. Even less than desirable bores can still shoot accurately with the right load and bullet.

I make the serial number to be 57916.

Now for the important question... when you removed the action from the stock, how did you remove the hand guard? I'm not sure if you know this... but it's very important than you don't snap the hand guard off or on! This could lead to a cracked handguard. Now that it's off, insert a quarter and penny into the clips to keep them at the proper tension and prevent the hand guard from cracking in the other direction. When you install it, slide it on the barrel from the end and into place. then install the rear sight, and finally, the stock.

Can't wait to see it once it's cleaned up and repaired!