Mystery of S.A.W. veterans in Illinois cemetary

For poking fun and off topic subjects
King carp

Mystery of S.A.W. veterans in Illinois cemetary

Post by King carp »

I found this interesting article about S.A.W. veterans . Any ideas from our members on why this was done?
(Archivist Nancy Wilson jokes that everything coming through her door at the Elmhurst Historical Museum is a mystery. But the riddle that came from a friend's phone call around Memorial Day last year has proven as stubborn as it is intriguing.

About 140 Spanish-American War veterans from all over the United States are buried beneath worn and chipped limestone markers in two uniform sections of an Elmhurst cemetery. After a year of exhaustive research, Wilson has been unable to determine how the vets got there.)
The entire article can be viewed by googling "Chicago Tribune, cemetary holds mystery of history" I thought they may have died at a Chicago area hospital? Any other theorys?

Culpeper

Re: Mystery of S.A.W. veterans in Illinois cemetary

Post by Culpeper »

Not much to go on to make an edumakated guess but the devil is in the details.

What does it say on the individual tombstones? Dates spread out over sixty years? That would lead me to guess the members of United Spanish War Veterans may have had a fund raiser where they sold plots in two lots reserved for them. Thats just a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Spanish_War_Veterans

Let's say the earliest burial was in 1909 and the last was in 1967. It would make sense.

A second thing to think about is did any of the Illinois Volunteers make it to Cuba, Porto Rico, or the Philippines? I am certain we would know of stories of a massacre Illinois troopers, ala USS Maine, in the present day if such a thing had occurred.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Was there a Veteran's Home, T.B. Sanitarium, or V.A.Hospital in the area, at one time?

Dates of Death, Vital Records on names (Illinois Death Certificates), and Census Data (from 1920's, 1930's, and 1940) might be clues.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Golly! The article is from 2002!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-05-26-0205260333-story.html
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Some of the names from the article.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/185516402/jacob-m-muszynski
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/105092135/john-harms

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Of some possible relevance:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-10-15-0210150189-story.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=EwkWy7qXU7wC&pg=PA147&dq=elmhurst+cemetery+spanish+american+war+burial+site&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6pqXWvurmAhUCZc0KHXpmANkQ6AEwAnoECAYQAg#v=onepage&q=elmhurst%20cemetery%20spanish%20american%20war%20burial%20site&f=false

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

When I looked at a list (under construction) of Spanish American War Veteran Burials, I only found two names for Elmhurst Cemetery, both men were in the 3rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry.

(I don't know, if they are in the Cemetery Section in Question, but, I found further information for the two men on a roster list for the 3rd Ill. Vol. Inf.):

John W. Watling, Pvt. Co. "C" (residence in 1898 - Wen Lenox, Ill.,
buried - Elmhurst Cemetery, Joliet, Will Co., Illinois).

William Henry Malcolm, Cpl., 3rd Ill. Vol. Inf., Co. "M" (residence in 1898 - Kankakee, Ill. - July 22, 1872 / March 29, 1932 - buried - Elmhurst Cemetery, Joliet, Will Co., Illinois).

BTW - One of the men Culpeper found was also on the 3rd Ill. roster:

Jacob M. Muszynski, Pvt. Co. "A" (residence in 1898 - Chicago, Ill.).

It appears "Knute" found the answer with the Newspaper story: explaining the "United Spanish War Veterans - William McKinley Camp #6 - Chicago" likely purchasing a section in the Arlington Cemetery, for the burial of 'post' members.

I suppose any SAW Veterans, living around Chicago, in later life, would be eligible to join USWV - "Camp #6". This would explain different States and units being buried at this site.

FWIW - A brief 3rd. Illinois Vol. Inf. History:Image

King carp

Post by King carp »

I had a feeling if anyone knew about this they would belong to the KCA. I called the Elmhurst history mueseum. It seems the woman who did the research no longer works there. They did not have an answer for me and asked that I call back during the week. No need to do that now. Thanks

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Well, I spent a bit of time chasing my tail, not realizing I was looking in the wrong cemetery!

"Arlington Cemetery", (where the graves in question are located), is in DuPage Co., Elmhurst, Illinois.

"Elmhurst Cemetery" (where I happened to find a couple of SAW veterans), is in Will Co., Joliet, Illinois.

Silly me .... miles apart and unrelated burials!

I know more now.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

That had me confused also. That is why I only posted links. I knew it would be figured out. Having a cemetery called Arlington in Chicago Land just added to the confusion.