Mystery of S.A.W. veterans in Illinois cemetary

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Re: Mystery of S.A.W. veterans in Illinois cemetary

Post by Culpeper »

I had a feeling if anyone knew about this they would belong to the KCA. I called the Elmhurst history mueseum. It seems the woman who did the research no longer works there. They did not have an answer for me and asked that I call back during the week. No need to do that now. Thanks

You could call them back and get a list of the vets and their information and post here. Just sayin'. ::)

Added: ...if a list is available.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Roster of the SPan-AM boys of Illinois

Report of the adjutant general of the state of Illinois Volume 9.

https://archive.org/details/reportofadjutant09illin/page/348
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

King carp

Post by King carp »

I will try calling up Monday when the curator is in. I will see what I can find out.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The original "Chicago Tribune" article about the 'Mystery' of the Arlington Cemetery (in Elmhurst, Ill.) SAW veteran burials was published in May, 2002.

Later that year, in October, 2002, a Tribune article gave the update and explanation.

The Elmhurst Museum Curator (at the time), Nancy Wilson, answered her own question, as reported in the October article.
She did research, in September, 2002, at the Chicago Historical Society and discovered the connection of the Veteran Graves to the United Spanish War Veterans 'Post' (William McKinley - Camp #6) in Chicago.

Not much to tell the current curator, if she/he has access to predecessor's work.
However, the names on the tombstones would allow matching to lists of known SAW period veterans.

It is understandable that a lot of SAW veterans would move to jobs & careers in a booming metropolis like Chicago.
(Fraternal groups and Veteran Organizations, like the GAR, USWV, and VFW were huge from the 1890's to mid 1900's).

Interesting thread 'King Carp'! Thanks 'Culpeper' and 'Knute' for the links to the Tribune articles.

waterman

Post by waterman »

The Edward Hines VA Hospital is not very far away. Been in operation since 1921. I suspect some of the vets' bodies came from there.

I read the Illinois roster with interest. 1st Infantry took all the casualties, had the most deaths. 2nd Inf had quite a few desertions & dishonorable discharges.

What amazed me is that I recognized 3 names & could put faces with 2 of them.

My grandfather was a machinist and worked for Fred Koehler, CO of Company I, at the Koehler Die Works about 1912-1916.

Sgt, John A Goodison, Troop A, 1st Cav. lived with his brother, next door to my grandparents. He was pretty unbalanced, in & out of the state mental hospital. His brother was his keeper. My Dad drove him to Hines VA hospital in 1947. That was the last we saw of him.

Sgt. John C Phelan, Troop C, 1st Cav, lived in the same small quad-apartment building as my family, just downstairs from us. His wife taught me to read.