New Krag Owner Looking for Help Identifying 1898

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Rnelson

New Krag Owner Looking for Help Identifying 1898

Post by Rnelson »

Hey Guys, just got my first Krag and I'm getting the bug. While doing research I came across the KCA web site. What a forum full of helpful, knowledgeable members!

I was hoping for a little help identifying the particulars of my Krag, model 1898, serial #130102. It looks like a carbine but I understand that there are a lot of variables involved, armory modifications and fakes.

I've provided some pictures for your review and comment. I've heard about the term, sporterized, but I'm not sure exactly what that means.
Any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Ralph

Rnelson

Re: New Krag Owner Looking for Help Identifying 1898

Post by Rnelson »

Sorry, thought all the pics would attach. Guess I have to do one at a time?Image

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Hate to load the forum up so I'll wait and post additional shots as needed.
Thank you!
RalphImage

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Shot of right side.Image

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Cartouche, believe it says ASA, 1898?Image

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

The pictures show an 1898 rifle that has been converted to "sporting" configuration by removing some wood, shortening the barrel, and installing a band-type front sight assembly. This kind of result is commonly called "sporterized".

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Sporterized sounds like a bad word. Was it done by the military or a hunter? Does the serial number tell you that it's a rifle and not a carbine. What is the value of a weapon like this?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Ralph. Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Your Krag has a rifle barrel that was cutoff, and a 1903 banded front sight was installed. Further, you have a rifle stock that was shortened to carbine length. I think you'll find there is a plug somewhere in the front under the barrel filling the hole left by the lightening channel after the stock was cut. This sporterization of the Krag was usually to make it more suitable for hunting, and is very common. 1898 Carbines are actually quite rare. You do have an early 1898, but it started life as a rifle.

As for the value... since it's been sportered, it doesn't hold value like it would if it were original. It is a very nice example of a Krag sporter though. Decent sporters usually run under $400, although there are some that go for more.

Rnelson

Post by Rnelson »

Thanks so much for the information, psteinmayer, you and Parashooter have been very helpful. I've learned a lot in a short time. The Krag is a cool rifle!
Best Regards,
Ralph

OR Hunter

Post by OR Hunter »

Rnelson,

You have a nice, handy hunting or plinking rifle there. Yours is similar to one I have. Since your magazine cut-off is missing already, you might look for a Redfield #102K rear peep sight that attaches to the cut-off hole in the receiver and also to the side plate using a longer screw. The benefit is that you won't de-value your receiver by having it drilled and tapped and the rear aperture sight is much easier to use and shoot well. Here's a picture of my sporter with a Redfield peep sight installed.