My Great Grandfather - The Rest of the Story

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

My Great Grandfather - The Rest of the Story

Post by Knute1 »

I have posted at different times pages out of a recent write-up of my Great Grandfather including pictures. This write up came about due to a want to have part of his story told and shared with family members. This is the context in which it was written. The Krag rifle info was written in light of knowing those reading probably never even heard of it before. So hopefully my info on it is mostly correct.

I contacted Ned Butts to see if it may be of interest to this website, which he agreed that it would be. So the entire write up is under "Articles". Below is a link. So this is kind of a "show and tell" moment for me. If you are interested in the Boxer Rebellion this article has a focus on it. It follows a soldiers life through some moments. The time writing it took longer than finding material, and I was amazed what could be found.

The format may have not allowed for the pictures to be viewed, but I plan on adding them to this post so they can be referred to by those interested.

Maybe now that I have it all recorded here, I may not be bragging so much about his service. It is all here to read and I don't have much more to say about him. Nuff said.

http://kragcollectorsassociation.org/articles/charles-wade-swah-and-the-china-relief-expedition/

Dick Hosmer

Re: My Great Grandfather - The Rest of the Story

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks - great read!

Was hoping it might have something about the 6th Cav, particularly "L" troop, as I own carbine 70210, recently mentioned on this board, which was actually in Peking with the China Relief Expedition.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Dick, my writing centered around the 14th Infantry Regiment. However, one of the books I researched was authored by Brigadier General A.S. Daggett titled "America In The China Relief Expedition". In it are references to Company L of the 6th Cavalry on pages 219, 248 and 252. There may be more.

https://books.google.com/books?id=TWZCAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=6th+cavalry+boxer+rebellion+history&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_8cGrutTlAhXNgVwKHXmYA0kQ6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks a lot - that looks like a good book!!! I might even consider getting a reprint copy.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

AppendixA

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Appendix B

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Appendix CImage