Adjustable Trigger for a Krag Sporter

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GeezerD

Adjustable Trigger for a Krag Sporter

Post by GeezerD »

Did anyone ever make an adjustable single stage trigger for the Krag ? ----------- GeezerD

Dick Hosmer

Re: Adjustable Trigger for a Krag Sporter

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'm pretty sure that an outfit called Dayton-Traister did, and I think Timney may have as well, perhaps others.

Hmmm - I wrote without looking and see (both companies are still in business) that they do not NOW, at least, offer a Krag model. Perhaps they never did, I've been wrong before - and fully expect that I will be again!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

GeezerD: This is how Dr. Walter Guy Hudson advised eliminating the 1st stage of the Krag trigger, (he called it 'drag'), back in 1903. He was a skilled rifle competitor and 'Company Doctor' for Remington-Dupont. His book was called: "Modern Rifle Shooting from the American Standpoint".
Personally, I like a smooth two-stage military trigger and just take up the initial slack ('drag') before squeezing-off my shot.
Note: When Dr. Hudson refers to the 'Springfield Rifle, he means the .45-70 'Trapdoor'. His reference to the 'first method' means reshaping trigger parts. Image

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

For what it's worth, I have one Krag sporter with the military two stage pull and one that has been gunsmithed to a single stage pull. I'm with butlersrangers and prefer the two stage pull myself. Part of the reason might be my perception that a two stage trigger has deep and safe sear engagement until the time of firing.
Tom P.

GeezerD

Post by GeezerD »

The trigger that is currently installed on my Krag sporting rifle is a Canjar single set trigger. As I understand, Canjar didn't make a whole lot of them. The unset pull is about two and a half pounds and the set pull is scary.
For a hunting rifle I would prefer 3 and a half to 4 lb with minimal creep and overtravel with the simplicity of a single stage. Also it is nessesary to disassemble the Canjar trigger to remove the stock for cleaning and maintainence. ------------ GeezerD