at auction

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
cjwils

at auction

Post by cjwils »

What do you think of this?
https://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=44344&weiid=15667889&lang=en

Nice looking custom job. Supposedly an 1899, but most of the gun, including the barrel and stock, are not original. Is it worth bidding on?

psteinmayer

Re: at auction

Post by psteinmayer »

It's a nice looking sporter, and obviously well done. I'm not convinced the barrel was replaced, but possibly just marked with the name of the firm that did the sporterization, as well as the circled xx. The 30-40 on the barrel may have already been there and just re-marked (my sporter has an original rifle barrel and is likewise marked 30-40 in the same location). The original front sight post was likely removed in favor of a ramped and hooded front sight for hunting purposes. There is a beauty ring installed on the barrel against the receiver to clean up the transition from receiver to barrel. The Redfield 70K rear sight is a very good hunting sight. It's definitely an 1899 receiver which means that it started it's life as a carbine... which means if it's an original barrel, it's not cut down. It's probably a great shooter, but not much value as a collector... but IMHO a good buy for $250!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

cjwils: It depends on what you like! If you want a nice hunting rifle with iron sights, this appears well done and a very good buy at $500. I am sure the barrel is made by Douglas and the "XX" signifies a premium grade. This was probably someone's 'dream custom rifle' in the 1960s or 70s. It shows very good workmanship and 'No Bubba'.
I personally like Mannlicher style stocks, but, I do not like the butt pad or fore-end tip rendering on this rifle. Everything else about it is great! (If it were mine, I'd replace the butt pad and maybe the fore-end tip. Otherwise, it is a beautiful looking sporter).
A nice rifle, but, if you buy it you better like it, because not everyone else will. In this day and age, you don't get much (new or used) gun for $500. This one is a lot of rifle!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There maybe a bottom stock screw threaded into that 'beauty ring' to help keep the action and barrel anchored and prevent stock splitting (very clever).

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'd have to assume the barrel WAS replaced. Seller would be in a world of hurt to represent it as a Douglas barrel, if it were just a re-stamped service one. Then there is the 23" length - if the barrel was original it would be 22", so I do not believe there was ever a front sight base to be removed. Why would there be a screw in the 'beauty ring' - why not use the original?

Numerous missed opportunities for greatness in the shaping of that stock! I don't care for Mannlicher stocks, and even less when they include a pistol grip - that really makes it look odd (to my eye). I'd have utilized a reworked upper band to hold the stock in line, and also lose that in-your-face-but-matches-nothing-else-on-the-gun blond tip!

I'm NOT (as might be expected/inferred) totally against Krag sporters, but, to appeal to me, they have to conform to some pretty rigid parameters.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Unlike Mr. Hosmer, I really like some Mannlicher stocks. However, it does not take much to really destroy the look for me. I like 'long' barrels but not on Mannlicher stocked rifles. IMHO 18 to 20 inch barrels look best on this style of stock. I hate ventilated rubber butt pads, but solid ones are tolerable (without white line spacers). This 'auction' Mannlicher stocked Krag could easily be altered to my liking. Gun tastes are subjective. I'm sure someone truly loved every line of this nicely done sporter.
There is a chamber area contour on this barrel, which leads me to believe it is what it says (commercial Douglas - XX). I see a shadow area on the stock, below the 'beauty ring'. That is why, I think there may be a third screw anchoring the action and barrel to the stock. Krag trigger guard/action screws are too close together. The barrel lifts and puts torque on the stock in the weak magazine area, unless restrained by a barrel/stock band or forward stock screw. This rifle looks like it has some clever gun work to me.ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My mistake about the barrel. I hadn't encountered a Douglas barrel before, so I made an incorrect assumption. I probably should have read the information, LOL.

I think it's a really beautiful sporter, but I'm also not crazy about the stock, as I don't like stocks that are the full length of the barrel. I also personally don't care for the cheek pad and pistol grip. My sporter stock has these, and I wish it were a different stock!

Brent

Post by Brent »

If you like that style of stock, this rifle might be a lot more interesting (albeit more money too). Apparently, I can't post a link in my first post on this forum. So, I will make this two posts.

I'm looking for a Krag sporter, but nothing like these.

Brent

Post by Brent »

Here we go
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=420369070

Anyone with a Neidner or Sedgley styled sporter that wants to sell might drop me a line. I am a total novice about these things, but everyone has to start somewhere.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice workmanship Brent, but, I prefer the rifle cjwils posted. This is real subjective. I like the mat metal finish on the Little John's Auction rifle. The Gunbroker Mannlicher style Krag has that 'reddish-purplish' refinish cast to the receiver that I cannot stomach. (To each his own)!