Ship Question.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Ship Question.

Post by butlersrangers »

I ran across these photos of the U.S.S. California, today. A Tennessee Class Battleship, she was launched in 1919. The 'California' was sunk at Pearl Harbor, salvaged, and resumed a distinguished career, until decommissioned in 1947.
What is the purpose of the large 'gauge' on the protected front mast?
(In the 1925 fleet picture, I think the 'California' is the third ship).ImageImageImage

gunboat57

Re: Ship Question.

Post by gunboat57 »

Range clocks. When battleships were in a line formation and were firing at a common target, the range was displayed on the "clocks", fore and aft, so they could be read by other ships in the line. This was before radio and conveyed info faster than signal flags.
Tom P.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Beat me to it Gunboat! Range clocks were used to ensure that all ships of the line were firing at the same range. They remained in use as a backup system on some battleships and heavy cruisers well into WWII.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

By the way, even though you can't see it in the pictures... they also had markings on the base of the gun turrets to mark the turret firing angle for other ships to reference.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Also - by the way... The pictures show the USS California with it's original "Cage" style masts that were common to all WW1 era battleships. These masts were removed after the California was refitted after Pearl Harbor, as she was updated. When the USS Iowa class battleships were launched, they did not have the "Crows Nest" platforms atop a mast. These were used for calculating range by spotters (high to allow line of sight over the horizon). By the time of WWII, range was determined by radar, and spotters were only used as a backup.

If you can't tell... Battleships are by far my favorite ships. My one regret is never having been able to pull duty on one while I was on active duty!

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

I was all set to join the Navy as an Ensign after completing ROTC in the late 70s. But at that time there wasn't much of a chance for advancement so I dropped out of the program.
But one exciting time was when I was aboard the USS Voge in the Med during a training cruise. That's when a Soviet Echo II nuclear sub collided with the Voge. It was tense there for awhile.

img

I didn't take the picture 'cause I was on the helm at the time.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There's something about a Ship that makes you want to get a Tattoo! (USS Michigan at Sault Ste. Marie - long ago).Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Funny you should say that Chuck... I have two ship tattoos: A three mast frigate on my right bicep; and a tattoo of the USS Ranger (on which I served four of my 13 years in the Navy) on my left! I also have an Eagle on my left back shoulder to memorialize my participation in Operation Desert Storm. I'd have a few more but my wife hates tattoos and has forbid me (but I'm still working on that).

Gunboat - I contemplated applying for OCS several times during my time in the Navy... but because of health issues, I never would have been approved.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Remembering back, another reason I didn't pursue a naval career was because I wasn't a good fit, literally. I wanted to fly but was 2 inches too tall for rotary wing or fixed wing. I spent a few days on an attack boat but couldn't fold myself any way that was tolerable once we submerged. The only surface warfare position I would've wanted was on a battleship. But I don't think any battleships were in commission at that time. I think New Jersey was re-commissioned in '82 and Iowa in '84.
Tom P.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

5 years in the Navy, 4 of mine, one of Lyndon's. Not impressed by tattoos nor most of the people that thought them desirable. I survived a year on the flight deck of an Essex-class ASW carrier. We averaged one fatality for every 12 days of operations. Just staying alive was Job 1.

Spent the rest of my hitch in the Mine Force. That was much, much better. One of our old Chiefs often said that the Mine Force was the last refuge for guys who would have been good China Fleet sailors.