28" barreled Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
broadway

28" barreled Krag

Post by broadway »

Today I noticed an odd Krag on the used rack behind the counter. I was unable to hold the rifle as all the counter staff seemed to be on break but from what I could see was that the rifle in question appeared to be about 2" shorter than the two Krags next to it.

I am wondering if this might be a Scandinavian Krag or if it is some variation of a U.S. one. All I know is the rifles came with 30" barrels and carbines had 22". This looked to be only a couple inches shorter and the fore stock and metal work seemed to fit well and looked the same couple inches shorter as the barrel.

I hope to be in the area of the store in the next couple of days and am trying to get an inkling if this is something to look closer at or not.

madsenshooter

Re: 28" barreled Krag

Post by madsenshooter »

You'll get Dick all excited! You'll have to go back and look now. There were 100 26" barreled rifles made, known as Board of Ordnance and Fortification rifles. I'll let others fill you in on just what to look for. Most gunshop types wouldn't have a clue what they had. Wake up Dick!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Either that... or maybe the other two Krags were propped up on something two inches higher than the one in question.

broadway

Post by broadway »

Thanks.

It is not one rifle being propped up, both (actually all three) were sitting flush on the rack. The short rifle appeared to be exactly the same as the longer ones except for the length of barrel and forestock- both parts ended about 2" shorter than the other two rifles. The front metal appeared to be all there and well fitted and the front sight did not have a band suggesting it was an add on.
I don't think it is a BoF rifle either as the barrel appears too long.

What little I could read of the tag from 20' suggested it was a Springfield, that the barrel was 28" long, and that it was priced at $999. That leads me to believe the barrel is indeed 28" based on comparison with the others. The store is not noted for absolute accuracy so, for all I know, there may be a "28" stamped someplace on the receiver which was then noted on the tag. I doubt that but with this store anything is possible.

I have read Poyer's book as well as Canfield's book on U.S. military bolt actions and this does not fit with what I recall they describe. With the history of this shop I am wondering if this isn't a Dane/Swede/Norwegian variant. I have no reference on these but felt they pretty much mirrored the U.S. versions.

If this seems to be a possible rarity, I would make a special trip to look closer at it. If it is some relatively common Scandinavian version I will wait until the next time I'm in the area and hope its there.

Thanks for the responses!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Both the Danish and Norwegian are pretty different in appearance, especially the front end metal. Could be a US Krag that someone cut off just a little, or maybe something tried before settling on the 26" barreled rifles.

broadway

Post by broadway »

Thanks again.

I believe all this talk has me thinking of a road trip. The weather is not too nice out but not bad enough to keep me off the road. There are enough oddities to tip me over the edge on this. I can give myself reason to be 20 minutes away which is close enough for me. I'll see if there is anything else to go on and get back.
I'll jump the counter if need be, that might get some attention. Then again, maybe not with today's caliber of store clerks.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You'll get Dick all excited! You'll have to go back and look now. There were 100 26" barreled rifles made, known as Board of Ordnance and Fortification rifles. I'll let others fill you in on just what to look for. Most gunshop types wouldn't have a clue what they had. Wake up Dick!

Not asleep, but was out of town for a couple of days.

It doesn't sound like the 'real deal', unless the OP cannot accurately estimate the difference between a 2" and 4" variation from the norm. If it is right, the serial number will be in the 387xxx to 389xxx range, the rear sight will be a 1901 graduated to 2100 yds., and the cartouche will be 1902. There will be no special marking such as 26 (or 28).

A list of the 20+ known specimens is available from the home page of this website, under 'Articles'.

Do let us know, though! :)

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If it does prove to be a 28 inch barrel... then close inspection of the muzzle crown and front sight post installation would not be out of the question. If the sight post is properly dovetailed and soldered, it should be evident. If it's not, then chances are that someone has cut the barrel down for whatever reason!

Chuck? Do you still have that picture of a proper front sight for reference?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

broadway: When you go back to the gun shop, take a magnifying glass and tape measure (also a U.S. Krag bayonet, if you have one). 1. If it has an arsenal installed Krag front sight base, the discreet brazing and subtle dovetail lines will be slightly visible and outlined in 'brass'. (Parashooter's photo attached). 2. Next, look at the fore-arm tip. A Krag rifle stock, shortened more than 2 7/8 inches, will have an exposed 'lightening' channel. This would have to be plugged. BTW - A Krag rifle stock measures approx. 17 1/2 inches from rear of barrel-band to front of nose cap. 3. Check the rear sight to see if it is unusual. The B. of O.&F. Krag used a 1901 sight with distinctive graduations (photo attached).
A 28 inch Krag barrel is very very suspect. (2 inches off the stock would not expose the lightening' channel). Maybe the rifle is a VFW alteration (???). See if a bayonet fits. It is certainly not worth that kind of money. An easy barrel approximation is to measure from the rear of the hand-guard to the muzzle. My unaltered Model 1898s come to almost 30" on the button, measuring this way.ImageImageImageImage

broadway

Post by broadway »

Thanks, most have said what I am thinking, it is not a variant. It definitely is only a couple inches shorter than the 30" rifle barrel and not nearly as much as 4".

I guess my main thought was it might be a Scandinavian gun but I could not tell that by looking at the belly as it sat in the rack. The forend ended the same distance back from the muzzle as with the other Krags and appeared to be well done from a distance which made me think it might be a variant. At a grand for the price I felt it was a bit much for a Scandinavian gun and most definitely too much for one altered. The other Krags (1898s) were in the $900 range which is still too much by my reckoning. Krags go for a lot less when they can be found around here, the shop is noted for selling at high prices (but not when they buy them).

My plans for making a road trip are on hold as a blizzard is raging between me and the gun. I might have to wait until next week to venture that way again.

Thanks all for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.