Krag Charger

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
psteinmayer

Krag Charger

Post by psteinmayer »

Thought I would share these...

Using the plan that Parashooter provided, I went down to my workshop this afternoon and banged this out of .020 brass sheet. First, I resized Para's Plan picture until the scale was correct. Then, I cut the picture out and transferred it to the plate, scribing the lines where needed. I used my Dremmel with a cutoff blade to make the cuts, and then made my bends using clamps and some parallel bars for a simple brake. Once I had everything bent into the proper shape and locations, I silver-soldered the joints. I cleaned all the edges with a fine sanding drum in the Dremmel. I tested it, and made some adjustments... and then silver-soldered the back brace which made it nice and rigid. The whole thing took me about 2 hours to make once I had the picture sized to scale.... and it works great!!! Thanks very much Parashooter for the plan!

Incase anyone is curious, the black on the case necks indicate that these are my practice dummy rounds (no powder or primers). I also have a piece of .025 copper sheet, so I may make a second charger to keep as a backup.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Pentz

Re: Krag Charger

Post by Pentz »

Nicely done. I've been debating about an attempt to make one of kydex. Anyone else? :-/

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Looks good Paul, better than mine! Now you're all set to spritz em in. Pentz, I tried to talk the cast bullet benchrest shooters at Washtenaw, which is near where Paul lives, into doing a few rapid fire stages, no go. I prefer the highpower shooting over the bench shooting, but either one is fun.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Looks like you're getting there.

Be sure to roll and smooth that thumb slot. Don't want any amputations!

img

And if you clip and smooth the back corners, it tips into the mag mouth easier -

img

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

I would like the plans so I could make me a few of them. I have a clip from another rifle that works, not perfect but it works. The bad thing is they arepart cardboard so not very duriable.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

img

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

this seems like it will work althight it is missiing a few details that I will have to work out and does not quite match your assemby pictures.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Actually, that template is the same "plan" referred to at the beginning of this topic. I assure you it is workable and correct, requiring only some basic tool skills to implement. With a little practice, it can serve to make some reasonably attractive chargers.

img

img

img

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Trust me Dean... Very easy to make, and took me just under two hours.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

Yes it is very simple design and I should have little problem making it, and then making a jug to make more of them. I will let you know. I will post the results when I get the first one made and then see how I feel about making more of them for others if they would like one or two. I am also working to get my hands on the Rice site to get the proper mesurments to get one made and then make more for those who would like one.